Jump to content

poisoned 6.1 tape cannot be rebuilt


Don Lee
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm having all sorts of trouble rebuilding a particular tape set.

 

The log looks like this:

 

+  Executing Rebuild at 4/28/12 (Activity Thread 1)
   To Backup Set iCompute11 [001]...
   SixOneTree:TAddAbstractFile failed objects.nib
   !Not enough application memory
   4/28/12 9:20:47 PM: Execution incomplete
   Completed: 326998 files, 19.9 GB
   Performance: 234.7 MB/minute
   Duration: 01:25:57 (00:00:01 idle/loading/preparing)

 

Retro 9.0.2.107, Mac OS X 10.6.8, mini, 8 GB mem.

 

This is the third time I've tried to do this. The first time I got this error. The second was the error under "Tape stops responding after error", and now this, which looks exactly like the first.

 

There is something poisoned about this tape, I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After resetting, restarting the engine and tape drive, I tried this again, and got the same result - and no errors from Retro save this:

 

+  Executing Rebuild at 4/30/12 (Activity Thread 1)
   To Backup Set iCompute11 [001]...
   SixOneTree:TAddAbstractFile failed objects.nib
   !Not enough application memory
   4/30/12 7:06:52 PM: Execution incomplete
   Completed: 326998 files, 19.9 GB
   Performance: 234.3 MB/minute
   Duration: 01:26:04

 

I've gone through quite a few tapes now, and this one is the only one that does this. There is 8 GB of memory in this machine, and the size of this tape in files/data is not anywhere near what would be expected to run Reto out of memory.

 

I smell a bug.

 

I can send you the tape, if you like. ;->

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've done this (at least) four times on this tape set. It's a 3-tape set. Two of the tries stopped with this error at (or near) the end of the first tape. (It's a DAT-72 tape, and it stops 20 GB in, so it's not that close to the end....)

 

The third try, I did a "repair" after this error had occurred. That attempt got pst this point in the tape, and I was sitting here while is passed that point, so I could hear the tape drive whine and complain, as it passed the spot on the tape. (it made the repositioning noises, like it was running re-tries) That resulted in the strange error/freeze that I reported here: http://forums.retrospect.com/index.php?/topic/147822-tape-stops-responding-after-error/

 

On another attempt (repair), it continued on to the other two tapes, and resulted in a number of total files that seems more-or-less complete.

 

Regardless of the condition of the tape, the error reporting here is sub-optimal, and I have some evidence that Retro gets "confused" when the error occurs. (See this: http://forums.retrospect.com/index.php?/topic/147796-what-is-backup-set-format-inconsistency-success/ ) I have no strong evidence of which error caused what, but I did get different behavior after restarting the engine, and power cycling the drive, and the timing suggests that it was the tape error that triggered the inability to find any files on the tapes. (several sets of "Inconsistency" errors, with no output files)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...