Error -530 (backup client not found)

Bryan Krueger

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2017 at 4:05 PM, Dave... said:

FYI: Just upgraded to Retrospect 12.5.0.177 and find that Error -530 (backup client not found) has returned - does anyone know if Retrospect is going to address this problem ?

Previous backup (30 Sep 2017) was successful after switching off VIPRE firewall on both systems, but find today that this no longer works, i.e., Retrospect 12.5 generates Error -530 and cannot detect backup client with Win7 x64 Firewall in place.

6 hours ago, DavidHertzberg said:

are you sure that port 497 is open for both TCP and UDP on the Win 7 x64 Firewall?  Also, are you sure that the VIPRE firewall is thoroughly and permanently  switched off?

1) I've tried several variations of Firewall on/off settings and always see 'Not Listening' (via portqry on the Laptop client), 2) No, I'm not sure that VIPRE is permanently switched off.

I've logged further details with Tech Support about this latest unsatisfactory episode.

FYI: Retrospect Technical Support have responded:

"I have no familiarity with the VIPRE software. Retrospect doesn't have much going for it in terms of firewall related configuration. I don't think there is going to be anything we can do on our end to bypass your security. We add standard firewall exceptions to the Windows firewall when our software is installed, but we count on customers to work with third party providers to allow exceptions in their software as needed.

Is there any way to "redirect" the settings that were previously applied to the older version of Retrospect, such that they apply to the current version? I would assume that any port related exceptions would still be functional, as we always use port 497 ..."

It is clear that the people Dave... should be talking to are VIPRE Technical Support, not Retrospect Technical Support.  When he talks to them, one question I would ask is "How can I take off, nuke VIPRE from orbit, and get my money back?"  Based on this review, Dave... could get a better security suite for a bit more money.

Another question Dave... might answer for us is "Am I still running Windows 7 x64 as the OS on this machine, as I was in May?"  If the answer is yes, another question Dave... might ask of Retrospect T. S. is "Does Retrospect 12.5 work with Windows 7?"

Retrospect appears to be working after changing the Retrospect application in the backup client firewall:

Application to allow Port 497 access via VIPRE firewall (backup client): C:\Program Files (x86)\Retrospect\Retrospect Client\retroclient.exe

And NOT C:\Program Files (x86)\Retrospect\Retrospect Client\Retrospect Client.exe

Update 30 Oct 2017 - the above 'Port 497' exception has stopped working, but have no idea why. Reverting to original workround: switch off both firewalls.

• 2 weeks later...

Retrospect Cannot See Clients Error -530

Keywords: VMWare Workstation, VMWare Player, Multiple Ethernet adapters,  Version 12.6.0.157

Could not see clients. Problem turned out to be due to the fact that VMWare Player was installed prior to my new Retrospect install. Player creates two virtual IPs. This is possibly compounded by the fact that this machine has multiple ethernet adapters although they are all on the same C subnet.

Anyway apparently what was happening is that it was latching on to one of the VMWare IPs. These had a different C subnet (Instead of 192.168.0.1 is was 192.168.191.1 and 192.168.125.1).

Anyway the solution is:

Configure => Clients => Interfaces (Left icon on tool bar or cntl-I) => New (Alt-N)

Enter a name for the new Interface. It shows multiple IP addresses, the physical ones and the Virtual ones. Select one of the physical addresses and close the box and Save.

Add (Client) => Advanced (Alt-V)

Under Interface, Pick the new one you created.

Voila, the clients appear (the registration was remembered)

I didn’t specifically investigate if the problem was due to the multiple physical adapters or to VMWare Player’s Virtual IP addresses. I suspect the latter because both of the physical adapters appeared on the same C subnet.

Don't know if applies to the VIPRE antivirus issue. Thought would post it here as the heading for this thread with the error -530. 

Many thanks - I have VMware Horizon View Client installed (and Retrospect v12.6), and have tried the suggested setup, but unfortunately without success:

[1] Configure => Clients => Interfaces (Left icon on tool bar or cntl-I) => New (Alt-N)

Enter a name for the new Interface. It shows multiple IP addresses, the physical ones and the Virtual ones. Select one of the physical addresses and close the box and Save.

Options:
192.168.1.66 Static < selected
192.168.1.71 Static

[2] Add (Client) => Advanced (Alt-V)

Under Interface, Pick the new one you created.

'Live Network' dialog: "Searching for backup clients" = never completes

Dave.

So what is considered the most reliable way to access/configure a backup client ?

I've had Retrospect for about 2 months now, and using Proactive Backup, this is now already the 3rd time that one of my client machines at home suddenly is not found anymore. I use direct hostname or IP. I normally can solve it by adding the client again in Backup Clients. However, right now e.g. my wife's laptop I cannot add through Direct as Access Method. Neither IP nor hostname work. Weird enough, when clicking on Multicast or Subnet Broadcast, her laptop does show up with it's normal hostname. I'm a bit wary of using those access methods though as they've given me plenty of -530 errors in the past.

My immediate suggestion is that you give your wife's laptop a static IP address on your LAN, so you can use Multicast.  That is done through the "website" GUI on your router (which is what Verizon has gone back to referring to it as even though it incorporates a modem; if you have cable Internet your cable company may refer to that box by a different term, but it's still the interface box between the Internet and your LAN.)  I can't tell you how to do it unless you have an Actiontec GT784WNV or something similar, but your ISP ought to be able to tell you—insist on speaking to a knowledgeable person.  

I suggest you give all your LAN-connected devices except your "backup server" computer static IP addresses.  That suggestion, BTW, originally came from the now-no-longer-there Alan of Retrospect Tech Support.

In case my preceding post doesn't solve hevanw's problem, the following two paragraphs are adapted from my Support Case about -530 errors I've been having on my Macs:

The easiest way to explain my definition of -530 Bug 2 (an unfortunate choice of name, but I'm stuck with it for historical reasons) is to adapt and expand a couple of paragraphs from a post I made on 3 March in the latest -530 thread on the "Windows ... Professional" Forum: The concept of -530 Bug 2 is a bit difficult to grasp, because it revolves around a client that—for the Retrospect Engine running on the "backup server"—is "difficult to establish connection with". That rules out a client that is "impossible to establish connection with", for reasons stated in the -530 Knowledge Base article. A client can become "difficult to establish connection with" for either software or hardware reasons. A year ago in February I started getting -530 errors for my MacBook Pro client for software reasons; they mysteriously went away that June. On 31 January of this year I started getting -530 errors for my MacBook Pro client because of a LAN hardware change; I'm still getting them, but the next paragraph describes a workaround I've found.

The concept of -530 Bug 1 is also a bit difficult to grasp, because it revolves around the word "establish" in "difficult/impossible to establish" in the preceding paragraph. My discovery this February is that—if you have a potential -530 Bug 2—you can avoid getting an actual -530 error on a scheduled Backup script (I don't know about Proactive scripts because I don't use them) by one of two work-arounds. The first work-around is to make sure that your client machine, followed by your "backup server" machine, are booted in that order at least 10 minutes before the Backup script is scheduled to run. If you can't do that, the second work-around is to schedule a "sacrificial script" (a duplicate of the problematic script that uses the No Files selector) or non-client-referencing script to run 5 minutes before your real Backup script is scheduled to run. If either of these work-arounds avoids your getting an actual -530 error, then you know that you actually have a -530 Bug 2 for your client—because if they don't work your client is "impossible to establish connection with". In short, -530 Bug 1 is that the Retrospect Engine software—which starts when the Mac "backup server" is booted (I don't know the Windows equivalent) and must immediately execute a scheduled script—gives a -530 error if the first client (I don't know about subsequent clients) the script says to backup is "difficult but not impossible to establish connection with".

If hevanw's wife's laptop is getting a -530 error when he/she boots his "backup server" after his/her wife's laptop is already connected to the LAN, the workaround will be a bit tricky because he/she is using a Proactive script.  I suggest scheduling a non-client-referencing script to run before any time his/her "backup server" is ever going to be booted, so that—I hope—Retrospect will run that script before starting the Proactive script.

HTH.

A couple of remarks about the final paragraph of my previous post, if you end up following the suggestion in it:

First, make sure your "backup server" computer is running the latest non-bleeding-edge version of Windows.  A week ago I upgraded my copy of Retrospect Mac from 14.0 to 14.6 (the equivalent of upgrading Retrospect Windows 12.0 to 12.6), because I thought that the fix for Retrospect bug #7022 listed in the Release Notes might fix my -530 Bug 1.  Instead it made things worse; running the "sacrificial script"—as described in the second substantial paragraph of my previous post—no longer made my real Backup script run without a -530 error.  The only way to get my Backup script to run was to first click the Source Locate button (a Retrospect Mac thing; I don't offhand know the Retrospect Windows equivalent) and then manually Run the script.  I waited a couple of days until I was sure that this was a regular occurrence, and then decided I would have to re-install Retrospect Mac 14.0.  However before doing so I first tried a "Hail, Mary" expedient; I upgraded the version of macOS on my "backup server" from OS X 10.10.6 to macOS (Apple has changed the OS's name; it's a marketing thing) 10.12.6—which is the latest non-bleeding-edge version (I won't touch macOS 10.13.1; it hasn't been through enough bug-fix updates yet).  After that, this morning is the second morning the "sacrificial script" workaround has done its job again.

Second, by a non-client-referencing script I meant a scheduled Backup script that doesn't backup a client machine at all; it should only backup some small Subvolume (see pages 444-446 in the Retrospect Windows 12 User's Guide for how to set one up) on the "backup server" itself.  The idea behind running either a non-client-referencing script or a "sacrificial script" is that -530 Bug 1 is some kind of startup timing bug in Retrospect's accessing of client machines; if you run another script first to give Retrospect a chance to "get settled", the -530 Bug 1 goes away.

• 2 months later...

I'm still having the problem, but it now clearly looks like a Windows Firewall problem.

It worked fine for several weeks. Then suddenly on Jan 18, I notice that my wife's laptop hasn't been backed up for several days. Again the same problem and nothing fixes it, except for reinstalling the client. 2 days later, both my own laptop as well as my wife's stop being backed up. Looking in the Server now both clients are not being found anymore. Pretty sure that reinstalling the client would fix it again.

Did some testing now :

* When I go to Clients->Add..  I can still see the backup clients under both Multicast as well as Subnet Broadcast.

* Yet, when selecting them and doing Add, I will get a "-530  (backup client not found)".

* More interesting is that the behavior changes when I turn off the Windows Firewall on the client. Then the error turns into a "-541 (backup client not installed or not running)". Yet, the client is installed, and I can open its config. Also both the Retrospect Client and Retrospect Instant Scan services are running.

* If I turn off the Windows Firewall on the server, it's still the -530.

* HOWEVER... if I turn off the firewall on both Client and Server, I almost immediately get the client popup that Retrospect is about to backup my files, i.e. the Proactive backup starts almost immediately and thus the Retrospect client can be found.

Now need to figure out what happens with Windows Firewall that after a while it suddenly seems to start blocking Retrospect stuff.

EDIT: apparently not that straightforward... When I turn off Firewall on all 3 devices, it fixes the backup of my own laptop, but not my wife's.

EDIT2: also interesting, once my own laptop was found again by Retrospect (by turning off Firewall), I can again turn on the Firewall on both server and client and Retrospect keeps working... Makes no sense.

Since hevanw has only had Retrospect for about 4 months, I assume he is running Retrospect Windows 12.  Therefore I think he should submit a Support Case; the reasons why and how are described here.

I already submitted a Support Case reporting my -530 errors on 8 February 2017.  Although I have submitted several Additional Notes to that Case, detailing further results including tests I have made, the Case was escalated but not selected for a fix by Retrospect Engineering.  Therefore I think a second Support Case submitted by another Retrospect administrator would help.

Have you tried disabling power management on the network adapters on the Client machines?

I had -530 errors on a laptop and disabling power management on the ethernet adaptor solved it for that machine.

This may be an interaction between Windows power management and certain chipsets. I've never had -530 errors from my machines with Broadcom and Intel chipsets but my laptop with a Realtek chipset had -530 errors until I disabled power management.

I think I'll indeed open a support case.

I think I have found a workaround that is a bit better than reinstalling. This morning again wife's laptop could not be found. What fixed it though is restarting the Retrospect Client service in Windows. So for some reason, after a while (can be couple days, can be months) the service gets in a corrupt state. The weird thing is that shutting down and restarting the laptop, does not fix it. But at the moment I may not have enought test data to be certain about the cases in which the problem occurs and can be fixed.