Retrospect does not recognize disk-based *.rdb files

stevefoobar

I had a hard drive failure in a 2-disk striped RAID configuration so effectively lost all data on both hard drives.

I have been doing daily backups with Retrospect 7.6 for Windows to external USB hard drives and have restored many files in the past with no problems. I have two separate hard drives with two separate sets of catalog files. Each drive goes back approximately 3 months in time. I was confident that I should be able to do a full system restore from the same backup USB drives.

I did full backups on 1/22/2012 and 11/10/2011 with daily incremental backups in between. I can see all the RDB files on the backup USB drives and they all have valid file sizes. Retrospect seems to be able to see them as well when I load the backup sets (of which I have two—one on each drive).

I have the original Windows XP boot disk and restored the computer to its original “start” state. I then performed all the necessary Windows XP Professional updates to bring the OS to SP3, which is what it was when I had the hard drive failure and made the last good incremental backup (on 3/18/2012).

Although I’ve owned and used Retrospect for many years and have paid for updates (the last update being ver. 7.6), the update folder for the software was on the hard drive that failed and I cannot find my backups for the software.

I do however have an older ver. 7.0 that I found so I installed that version in the hope that I could restore using it.

I have had no luck whatsoever and after many hours of researching and trying every possible setting, I am baffled.

When I go through the normal full restore process using the backup set on the first (most recent) hard drive and using a snapshot date of 3/18/2012, and selecting the C: drive as the destination, Retrospect initially looks like it is working. After just a minute or so however, it stops and asks:

Please select the backup set member:

Name: 1-PowerSpec on Seagate

I don’t have any idea why it is asking this. When I try to point it to either the first hard drive’s backup files or folder or even the second backup drive’s it never recognizes the files or backup folder and I never get the “OK” button to select. If I then select the “Choices” button and try and manually find the folder or files, it gives me the following error:

This file is corrupted or does not belong to this backup set.

Obviously, neither of these error statements is correct.

If I select “Backup set is missing…continue” it listens and appears to continue but then fails upon reboot (Missing NTLDR) because obviously, it didn’t install all the files properly.

Could the fact that I’m using ver 7.0 instead of ver 7.6 have something to do with this?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I too had a similar situation. I am currently using 7.7 and created the original files in 7.6. After restoring the files to the HD it asked me to select the rdb file {if you browse} when it couldn't file the orignal files. I did find that typing the file name suddenly gave me a list of files. It then asked for each individual rdb and I had to type the file name in each time. It was a pain.

cheers ianf