All My Reports Lost - How Do I Get Them Back

Hi!

Since upgrading to 9.0.1 for some reason all of my reports disappeared from the Console. Does anyone know how to get them back?

Also, one report I recreated (show source if tag contains "Laptop") no longer finds anything? This was really helpful to me so I could see if the proactive backup had managed to backup all of the company laptops.

Cheers, Chris W.

• 1 month later...

Reports are stored in the config80.dat file. If the config file somehow got corrupted, then the reports may not display.

If the entire "reports" group is not showing up inside the console, try to delete the Retrospect .plist file in users library/preferences. If you still have trouble, you may need to remove the config files and start fresh.

Reports are stored in the config80.dat file. If the config file somehow got corrupted, then the reports may not display.

If the entire "reports" group is not showing up inside the console, try to delete the Retrospect .plist file in users library/preferences. If you still have trouble, you may need to remove the config files and start fresh.

For what it's worth, I went rogue, and read the documentation. ;->

Reports can be created from several of the oher panels, with the little "plus" sign in the upper right. It's not blindingly obvious, but quite usable.

I can create new reports, but the "default" ones are still gone. I have no custom reports, so I don't need to fix it, only to add the reports I care about.

Since shifting to the engine/console model, Retrospect has had issues with communication from the engine to the console. The console always takes some time (sometimes a rather long time) to populate with data from the engine; sometimes not everything gets there. Retro 9.0.1 was supposed to have fixed much of this failure to populate, but apparently not well enough. In our case, the missing data is typically a listing of the media set members; a couple of times it's been something else, such as the default list of reports or the list of "All" Activities. Quitting and relaunching the console has usually caused it to eventually populate with the right data, and apparently having the console send new information to the engine can also cause the console to repopulate with data that's already existing on the engine.

I use optical drives for my backups, and because Retrospect 9 Engine, like 8, takes over the DVD drive(s) and won't allow their access by other OS X applications, I normally run with the Engine off. When I start the engine, I've learnt to watch the CPU meter I have on my menu bar and wait until its activity goes back to the background level before I start Retrospect Console. This seems to ensure that the Engine has finished its startup before Console accesses it.

Before I did this (and this is going back to Retro 8, so it may not fully apply), I'd had one instance where the default reports had been trashed, and a few other cases where when I started up the Console, it showed no reports, but if I shut it down immediately and restarted then the reports appeared.

It would be a very nice idea if the Engine control panel didn't show "Retrospect Backup Engine is running" until the engine was actually ready to start accepting Console requests. The display might go "Retrospect Backup Engine is currently stopped" -> "Retrospect Backup Engine is starting" -> "Retrospect Backup Engine is running".

Even better would be if the Engine held off responding to the Console until the engine startup completed.

As a general precaution it's a good idea to back up the config80.dat file after each backup.

More data on missing reports.

I also see the delay in populating the console, and the reports seem to be the last things to appear. Yes, it sometimes takes a while.

I saw some anomalies in the way this was reported, where sometimes the reports were there, and other times they were missing.

I run normally with two engines attached to the console. One is the "local" machine (fast ethernet connection) and the other is the "remote" system (connected over the net, slow connection - 25 KBytes/sec?)

When I remove the "local" engine from the console, the reports appear reliably for the "remote" system. When I re-add the "local" system, the "remote" reports vanish again. (Usually... It seems to depend on what order the remote engines appear in the sidebar, though. I have seen coredumps (large) while playing with this.)