Trouble with file matching

wwwolf

Hello all,

I'm having an oddity with Retrospect 7.6.123 refusing to properly match files after I've moved the backup software to another computer.

We had a system running our backups for years with no problems, but it's starting to develop hardware issues so I took Retrospect off it and moved it to another computer. Now when I want to run a backup of a networked client it tells me that 99% of my files are new and have to recopied.

I'm at a little bit of a loss here as I don't want to use up all my backup space with a completly redundent copy of all my files.

I've check my Options -> Execution -> Matching, and 'Match Source Volumes to Cataloge File' is on, 'Don't Add Duplicates to Backup Set' is on, and 'Match Only Files in Same Location' is off.

Thanks.

It isn't clear if the "client" or "server" went bad. One of our clients is a dual boot client. Backing up all four disks when booted in XP didn't really help the Vista backup. Windows claims some metadata has changed so the files was backed up again.

So, are you running the same Windows version on the other computer?

Hi Lennart,

Sorry for the confusion. The clients are fine, it's the server that I had to migrate away from.

You may be right about the Windows version. I'm moving the Retrospect server software from a Windows Server 2003 system to a Vista labtop.

I've found mention to O/S migration problems here: http://forums.retrospect.com/index.php?/topic/29187-weird-matching-problem/

As I have a lot of data (it would take over 24h to back it up again from scratch) it would make my life a lot easier if I could pick up from where I left off.

I tried a catalog update with no luck. Next I might try a whole cataloge rebuild on the new server.

Thanks.