Fresh start – how to delete things in a poorly written script?

Hi all,

So I made a script that I found out has some flaws, after reading the user´s guide I would like to modify my scripts a bit, among other things I ticked "All local" tag which meant that the removable disk that was the backup source backed up itself which wasnt that smart of course since the disk got full pretty quick. :wacko:

Before I start deleting things, how would one go along to erase old media sets and catalogues? even if I remove the Media Sets and the scripts from the Retrospect interface, they still exist on my computer?

By the way: here´s pretty much what I want to do:

- Back up 7 networked clients and the local computer which the Retrospect Server is installed on monday to thursday...

I dont need to keep old copies of my files really, just the most recent one´s...could then the Recycle Media option be an idea on, let´s say monday, and the No Media Action to be used tuesday-thursday?

- Have a weekly rotating system of two removable disks. This is to have one copy of the backup in a different location in case of fire etc.

Should I make one Media Set with two members (two removable disks) and a rotating schedule or is it better to create two separate Media Sets with two different members that runs every other week?

Any kind of ideas and good advice would be much appreciated... :rolleyes:

BR

Thomas

I dont need to keep old copies of my files really, just the most recent one´s...could then the Recycle Media option be an idea on, let´s say monday, and the No Media Action to be used tuesday-thursday?

Each person needs to decide how long to keep backed up data. If a week is really all you need to retain, this will work well. If you reconsider and want to keep the data longer (and have enough space on your backup media), you could schedule the recycle backup at, say, two week or four week intervals.

Should I make one Media Set with two members (two removable disks) and a rotating schedule or is it better to create two separate Media Sets with two different members that runs every other week?

You need two Media Sets to be able to write to the disk volumes separately. If you have a single Media Set with more than one member, Retrospect will always write to the members in sequence; i.e., it won't begin writing to member 2 until member 1 is full.

Before I start deleting things, how would one go along to erase old media sets and catalogues? even if I remove the Media Sets and the scripts from the Retrospect interface, they still exist on my computer?

You could either recycle the existing Media Set(s), or remove it/them and start fresh. If you choose the latter, you'll need to trash the existing data files and the media set catalogue(s).

Tim,

Thanks a lot for your reply! Then I actually did the right thing first time with two different media sets...(1 for each week). If I want to trash media sets and catalogues, that has to be done manually, right? /Library/Application Support//Retrospect//Catalogs/...

Any more files that needs to be trashed?

If I want to trash media sets and catalogues, that has to be done manually, right? /Library/Application//Support/Retrospect//Catalogs/...

That's the default location where the catalogues are stored, unless you selected a different directory.

Any more files that needs to be trashed?

Yes, the data files themselves, which are located wherever you told Retrospect to store them. They will be in a folder called "Retrospect" that contains a file called "Backup Media" and a folder with the name of your media set. Trash this entire Retrospect folder.