Maybe I just have a couple bad tapes, but I was wondering why...

I have an AIT-2 (SDX2-50C) tape that I erase in my G4 running OS 9 with Retrospect 5.x and it erases the tape and says it is empty and I erase it just to double-make sure.

If I reboot the same Mac in OS X 10.5 and fire up Retrospect 6.1, it shows the same tape in yellow and won't let me erase the tape.

Why is this? Maybe I need to do a 'long erase' when in OS 9 on the tape?

Thanks

Edited by Retro Mac User

Maybe I just have a couple bad tapes, but I was wondering why...

I have an AIT-2 (SDX2-50C) tape that I erase in my G4 running OS 9 with Retrospect 5.x and it erases the tape and says it is empty and I erase it just to double-make sure.

If I reboot the same Mac in OS X 10.5 and fire up Retrospect 6.1, it shows the same tape in yellow and won't let me erase the tape.

Why is this? Maybe I need to do a 'long erase' when in OS 9 on the tape?

Thanks

It looks as it isn't the same tape. Are you SURE it is THAT tape you erased in Retrospect 5?

Why don't you erase the tapes in Retrospect 6.1?

I would erase the tapes in Retrospect 6.1, but they are in yellow and the 'erase' button is greyed out in Retrospect.

-John

You didn't answer my first question, about which tape you are actually trying to erase.

It looks like the tapes are members of a still existing backup set. Retrospect goes a long way to prevent accidental erasure of backup media.

If you are SURE you want to erase the tapes, start by forgetting the corresponding backup set.