Lion Server: Retrospect 8 & 9 Very, Very Slow

Hi, I'm doing my backups of a Mac Mini Server (Lion Server) to an external usb hard disk (Western Digital MyBook). Retrospect 8 was very, very slow with Lion Server.

I've updated to Retrospect 9 to fix this issue. But its is very slow to. The first backup takes now 47 Hours for 18 GB. The entire backup has a total size of 150 GB.

Best regards

S

Edited by somasundaram

Guest Steve Maser

How much free disk space do you have on your Mac Mini? Can you try making a local disk media set on the internal hard disk and see if the speed is different?

MyBook USB drives tend to have the slowest possible hard disks in them (from my experience...)

Guest Steve Maser

Can you try making a local disk media set on the internal mini drive and comparing the backup of some of the server folders to that internal drive media set vs. the MyBook? I'd be curious to see the difference...

Hi Steve,

its fixed! Today morning i got the following Error for the MyBook "... has become too hot and will automatically shut itself down in less than 4 minutes if it does not cool sufficiently. Please safely remove your drive as soon as possible". Now i plugged a WD Passport and the Backup is "fast". 1.9 GB/s!!!

Booyah. Thank you for your help! :)

Edited by somasundaram

Guest Steve Maser

Yeah, that's been my experience with those drives. They are not "enterprise backup" drives, but work for quick storage because the enclosure is not sufficient to keep the drive cool enough over long periods of use.

(Maybe the newer enclosures work better, I gave up on them when I gave up on LaCie external drives with their bad power supplies...)