Problems With "needs Media" For A Disk Media Set

twickland

Recently I experienced a problem with a disk media set that resulted in the problem of the nested media set members that others have described, most recently in the post "Needs Media @ Restoring." I don't know how widespread my problem is, but I post my solution in case it might be helpful.

I was running a backup to a disk media set that halted with a media request. Because there should have been plenty of capacity left on the member, I stopped execution. The following error message appeared in the log:

I attempted rebuilding the catalog, which appeared to go well. However, when I ran a second backup after the rebuild, I got another media request. This time I clicked on "Choose Media..." and saw the following screen:

The request made no sense, since "2-Science Workstn C" was already a known member of the media set. However, I navigated to the requested folder, highlighted it, and cliched "Add." There was a brief period when it appeared the backup would move forward, but then the media request icon reappeared. This time when I followed the instructions, I got the following message:

[

As it turns out, the first click and add on "2-Science Workstn C" created a series of nested folder inside "2-Science Workstn C" that ultimately contained "3-Science Workstn C." Highlighting one of the other volumes and clicking on "New Folder..." resulted in folders at the root level of that volume and inside the new folder containing "4-Science Workstn C" and "5-Science Workstn C" respectively. Stopping execution resulted in the same log error message I had encountered before the catalog rebuild.

Clearly the rebuild had not resolved the corruption issue, but worse, Retrospect's subsequent behavior, including the absence of timely error information during the actual script execution and the issuing of incorrect instructions only compounded the problem.

Since the error about a corrupt media set came up after a previous apparently successful backup to media set "Science Workstn C", it seemed reasonable to infer that something had gone wrong during the last backup session in that script. I navigated to the media set member in Finder and dragged the last session to the trash. I then rebuilt the catalog. Happily, this fixed everything and I am once again successfully backing up to this media set.

Edited by twickland