I have been using Retrospect for a very long time - long before it was sold by Dantz.

I recently upgraded to 7.7 so that it would work with Windows 7.

What a huge mistake that was. Can you believe that in this version backup sets are not listed alphabetically, but in the order in which they were created? In every other version they sort alphabetically. If this is what Roxio thinks is an upgrade I shall start looking for an alternative now.

If anybody has any ideas I'd be very grateful.

You may be interested to know that I checked with Roxio Support. The guy I spoke with had to speak to a senior programmer who confirmed that there is no alpha sort. He was deeply embarrassed and said it would be added to the wish list!!

Edited by Perks

Go to Configure -> Backup Sets. If you remove your sets from the list (using "Forget..."), then add them back in (using "More..."), they should stay in the order in which you add them. The catch: you'll also need to add them back into your scripts (since the scripts will lose their references at the point when you ask the program to "Forget" the sets).

Alternatively, I was able to drag and drop multiple catalogs into the list (from the Windows Explorer) and they went in alphabetically, which is quicker than doing them one-by-one using the "More..." button. This might work for you too.

Hope this helps! I agree that they should be alphabetical, particularly when there's no way for the user to directly sort/re-order them.

Go to Configure -> Backup Sets. If you remove your sets from the list (using "Forget..."), then add them back in (using "More..."), they should stay in the order in which you add them. The catch: you'll also need to add them back into your scripts (since the scripts will lose their references at the point when you ask the program to "Forget" the sets).

Alternatively, I was able to drag and drop multiple catalogs into the list (from the Windows Explorer) and they went in alphabetically, which is quicker than doing them one-by-one using the "More..." button. This might work for you too.

Hope this helps! I agree that they should be alphabetical, particularly when there's no way for the user to directly sort/re-order them.

Thank you. That's hugely useful. May I ask you another question. I want to try your second solution. Can you be a little more specific as to how to drag and drop backup sets from Explorer.

Edited by Perks

Thank you. That's hugely useful.

Great to hear!

May I ask you another question. I want to try your second solution. Can you be a little more specific as to how to drag and drop backup sets from Explorer.

No problem. Here is what I did:

(1) Click Configure -> Backup Sets. Leave the list of backup sets open.

(2) Navigate (within the Windows interface, not Retrospect) to the location of your Retrospect catalog files. (On Windows XP, this is the "Retrospect Catalog Files" folder within My Documents; it should be somewhere similar in Windows 7.)

(3) Select the .rbc files of the backup sets you want to add, in the order in which you want them to be listed in Retrospect. (Use shift-click, control-click, or drag a box to select multiple files at once.)

(4) Drag them into Retrospect, dropping them into the white list in the "Configure -> Backup Sets" window (that you left open earlier).

(5) If it worked, the details of each Backup Set should pop up in new windows within Retrospect. Close these, and you will hopefully see the sets listed in your desired order in the Backup Sets list.

I am running Windows XP, but would expect this to work on Windows 7 as well. Haven't tried it on a Win7 machine yet, though.