Simultaneous Backups

Guest Steve Maser

Yes -- this works (concurrent "proactive" scripts) -- I've been doing this for what seems like years now...

You just have to watch how many concurrent scripts you have running vs how much RAM you have on your engine computer. If you make too many proactive scripts (and don't have enough RAM) then the engine will get bogged down and stop responding.

-

We have an issue where scripts get put in the cue due to a need for new media for another script or any other issue that would impede the progress.

It's not clear exactly what you mean by "put in the queue." Do you mean, as Steve Maser suggests, that things bog down so that subsequent scripts do not run? Or are you saying that if Script A runs into a problem that requires manual intervention, Script B fails to execute, even though it should write to a different media set? Or is it something else?

Please provide us with a detailed example of your problem, including the types of script and media set (or destination volume in the case of a Copy script) that you're using, as well as your hardware setup and OS version.

Is it only Proactive scripts that can run concurrently? Is it not possible to have multiple scheduled regular back ups run concurrently?

As far as I know, any kind of script can run simultaneously with another. We have successfully run regular backups with regular backups, regular backups with proactive backups, and regular backups with copy scripts.

The concurrent scripts cannot be backing up to the same destination media set or accessing the same source simultaneously. If they are scheduled to do this, one script will wait until the other has finished with the source and destination before it runs.

• 2 weeks later...

With the Advanced Tape Support plug-in I was able to create two scripts accessing two separate tape drives (one library) backing up two different drive sources (one DAS and another Xsan). The concurrent job was not that different than running a single job.

System specifics:

• Intel Xserve (10.6.8 Server, 2 x 2.66Ghz Quad, Apple Raid card, 3 x 750GB Raid 5, 12GB RAM)
  • Roxio Retrospect Single Server Unlimited 8.2.0 (399)
  • Advanced Tape Support enabled
  • Archiware PresSTORE XXL Software
  • Apple 4Ghz 4 Port FC Card (driver 2.02)
  • Qlogic 5600 Fibre Channel switch x 2
  • Promise 610f 32TB (Raid 5, 4GB FC controller)
  • Promise 610f 64TB (Raid 5, 4GB FC controller)
  • HP StorageWorks 4048 LTO4 dual drive w/4GB FC controller

As far as I know, any kind of script can run simultaneously with another. We have successfully run regular backups with regular backups, regular backups with proactive backups, and regular backups with copy scripts.

The concurrent scripts cannot be backing up to the same destination media set or accessing the same source simultaneously. If they are scheduled to do this, one script will wait until the other has finished with the source and destination before it runs.

Here is my scenario. I have some source folders on a Drobo and the others on a 8TB Promise RAID. When you say the same source do you mean, one script can concurrently access the Drobo and one the RAID. I was hoping to split the back up of the RAID data into 2 concurrent scripts, each accessing a different set of source folders on the RAID. If I schedule it this way, one script waits until the first completes. If that is so I will need to reconfigure my RAID so Retrospect see multiple source drives.

Guest Steve Maser

I don't think you can access the same *source* concurrently from two different scripts (even if they are writing to two different media sets). The client application doesn't allow multiple concurrent connections.

Based on your scenario, you can certainly make multiple "source" drives on the client and have them backup to different media sets -- but those backups will not run concurrently. If you want concurrent backups, you'd have to put the Drobo (or the RAID) on two different client machines.

I don't think you can access the same *source* concurrently from two different scripts (even if they are writing to two different media sets). The client application doesn't allow multiple concurrent connections.

Based on your scenario, you can certainly make multiple "source" drives on the client and have them backup to different media sets -- but those backups will not run concurrently. If you want concurrent backups, you'd have to put the Drobo (or the RAID) on two different client machines.

Both the Drobo and the RAID are connected to an XServe. It is not the client installed on this machine, it is the server. I have tested and am able to run concurrent scripts. One source being the Drobo the RAID the other. From this test I believe when they say source they really mean drive. As you can have multiple source folders selected from the same drive. You can concurrently back up folder A & B from the Drobo to Media set 1 and folder A.B & C from the RAID to Media set 2.

You can not concurrently back up folder A & B from the RAID to Media set A and folder C from the RAID to Media set B.

Guest Steve Maser

Ah, I misunderstood -- yes if this is the engine machine, you can backup multiple sources concurrently from the internal hard disk. You just can't backup multiple sources on a *client* machine because the client will lock on one activity.