Lion Server Client

Cygnis

Hi,

If I understand correctly, OSX Server is now an add-on for OSX Lion, rather than having separate 'desktop' and 'Server' versions.

Therefore, assuming one has a Lion Server client to backup (from a different machine running the Retrospect server), is that treated by Retrospect as a 'server' client or a 'desktop' client? In other words, would I need "Multi Server", or would "Single Server"/"Professional"/etc. suffice (without an additional server client license)?

Also, is there any difference between the Mac and Windows Retrospect products in this regard?

Thanks.

If I understand correctly, OSX Server is now an add-on for OSX Lion, rather than having separate 'desktop' and 'Server' versions.

If you think this is any different from previous versions of OS X Server, then no, you don't understand correctly.

OS X Server has _always_ been the base Desktop system software with additional server applications/preferences/assistants on top. In fact, just as today's Lion Server is created by running an installer on top of an existing desktop install, previous versions supported running the Server installer on top of a Desktop client too. Only difference was the need for DVD sized media instead of a small application (+ net connection).

Retrospect will continue to see Lion Server machines as such.

I would add now that Apple has dramatically reduced the price of Lion Server, perhaps Roxio might be encouraged to revisit the pricing of Retrospect's upper-tier licenses. But I'm not holding my breath!