I'm Confused, Are We Waiting For An 8.x Update?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jelockwood

I see Retrospect 9 has now been launched, in the absence at the moment of a Retrospect 9 forum I am posting here.

I could not find a definitive answer as to whether any Retrospect 8(.2) users get free upgrades. Like nearly all the comments here, I could not care less about any of the supposed feature enhancements. My concerns are reliablity and performance. Unlike many people here Retrospect 8.2 is reasonably reliable for me now that I have it running and know how to workaround its various issues although I do not rely on it to do a bare metal restore. My biggest problem is one that has plagued Retrospect for years and years, which is the utterly appalling performance when the amount being backed up grows above a certain level.

When Retrospect hits this wall, it will literally spend hours twiddling its thumbs, I have a dedicated Mac Pro for Retrospect with a SATA3 card for eSATA connections (so no tape speed issues or SCSI issues), loads of RAM and eight processors and a switched Gigabit Ethernet link. I can see it is not LAN throughput, or CPU, or RAM or storage IO, it is purely Retrospect.

It should be noted that Retrospect has never has never lacked for features and has been well able to compete in this area, it is still also reasonably good in terms of ease of use although 8 is much worse than 6, it is reliability and even more so speed that remain the problems.

Assuming some sucker customer uses version 9 and can report back on some meaningful performance results, I might consider trying it myself. I did see that the new features list did not mention any performance improvement claims. :(

Note: I have used Retrospect since version 1.

I have unfortunately already had to switch one company I manage away from Retrospect (they now use SuperDuper), the remaining one I have managed to keep the amount to be backed up to a level that Retrospect can cope. Above this level it can literally take more than 24 hours to do a set of incremental backups.

Things in Retrospect 8 that I have totally given up on as completely unusable 'features' are automatic grooming of backups, and attempting to repair/rebuild a backup catalog. The claimed ability of Retrospect 8 to run multiple tasks is also not to be believed except in the most limited case.

Some of these issues I have previously reported officially, but I have since given up on doing this.

In defence of the Retrospect developers, I recognise you have been passed from company to company and during this process have almost certainly been starved of resources however this does not change the reality that now the product is becoming unusable and is equally now also far too expensive for what it does. (I am not talking a feautre list here.)

I am disappointed that because of PowerPC support being dropped I have to stay with a buggy product. Even if I was using on an Intel processer I am still disappointed that Retrospect 9 is a paid upgrade and not a free upgrade. I have used Retrospect for a close to ten years and now stuck with a version that will not have any more updates to fix looming issues. Instead of releasing a entirely new version which costs money it would have been nice to fix the bugs in the current version. I am very disappointed in Roxio's support of Retrospect.

Edited by predaking

The official launch isn't until tomorrow morning. You can download a trial while we work out the kinks in the upgrade process.

I bought Single Server for my home network on 1 August 2011. When should I look for the free upgrade notice?

I bought Multi Server for my office back when 8.0 was released. It’s *basically* working now. Why should I try to entice my boss to spend several hundred dollars more for 9.0? There’s virtually nothing on the 9.0 Web site that I can use to justify that expensive upgrade, especially considering how fraught with problems 8.x has been.

Are there official prices on the new http://www.retrospect.com/ site? I didn't see any.

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/retrospect-inc-assumes-development-retrospectr-backup-recovery-software-products-releases-1581049.htm

In case anyone wanted to see pricing. $279x2 for me to upgrade. I will not purchase ASM if I move forward. I let ASM slip after a full year of no updates or solution to crashes. Wasn't sure what I was paying for. Anyway here you go.

Retrospect 9 Multi Server Unlimited Clients with ASM

$1,669 new, $939 upgrade

Protects an unlimited number of networked Mac, Linux, and Windows servers, desktops, and laptops; includes one year of support and maintenance.

Retrospect 9 Single Server Unlimited Clients with ASM

$809 new, $539 upgrade

Protects a single Mac OS X Server and an unlimited number of networked Mac, Linux, and Windows desktops and laptops; includes one year of support and maintenance; additional server client licenses are available separately.

Retrospect 9 Single Server 20 Clients with ASM

$609 new, $409 upgrade

Protects a single Mac OS X Server and an unlimited number of networked Mac, Linux, and Windows desktops and laptops; includes one year of support and maintenance; additional server client licenses are available separately.

Retrospect 9 Single Server 20 Clients

$479 new, $279 upgrade

Protects a single Mac OS X Server and up to 20 networked Mac, Linux, and Windows desktops and laptops; additional server client licenses and support and maintenance are available separately.

Retrospect 9 Desktop 5-User

$129 new, $59 upgrade

Protects a single, non-server Mac and up to five additional networked Mac, Linux, or Windows desktops and laptops; additional desktop/laptop client licenses and support and maintenance are available separately.

Visiting the 'retrospect.com' website I was pleasantly surprised with "Retrospect, Inc. Assumes Development of Retrospect® Backup and Recovery Software Products, Releases Retrospect 9 for Mac".

I puttered around the site and it appears that the core team responsible for Retrospect (while under Dantz) have retaken the helm of this drifting ship. Maybe this is old news but it was still a bit of a surprise. My best wishes to the new owners, I hope you can repair the damage the previous two owners have done to the Retrospect product name. Sometimes a mutiny is the best course of action.

If you would like your ASM upgrade ASAP, please visit our support site and submit a web ticket. We can process your upgrade via the web ticket system. Please include proof of purchase to speed things up for us.

Thanks

I gave it a shot - not sure what's going to happen. It seems my data value was "too large." (that's what she said).

Here's to a smooth rollout, Robin. I'd wager you could use a few days off.

Cheers,

Lyle

(Guess I should mention that I already re-submitted my ticket)

Edited by lylehm

Hello,

This is a paid upgrade unless you purchased Retrospect after the release of OS X lion

Robin

FanTASTic!!! I am SO happy to know that after suffering w/ what is essentially a public beta for 2.5 years, having no updates in 15 months, and getting absolutely no information or acknowledgment of feedback or problem reports for about as long, we now are expected to ***PAY*** to "upgrade" in order to receive improvements to "stability" and "performance" (from the PR), which clearly crippled the previous "version"...as if we're actually getting a new (!) version of the program and could even be assured it has addressed our concerns! That is SUPER news! I guess if we do that, we can look forward to a 9.1 release in February 2013 after months and months of silence about the new bugs introduced in 9.0. I "only" have a dozen or so clients using Retrospect currently...I'll bet they'd be thrilled to pay for an "upgrade" after having to deal w/ an unfinished product for this long. Thanks for the insult, Roxio/Retrospect/EMC/Dantz/WhoTheHellEver. Well done.

If you insist on being paid for fixing ailments that you neglected in Retro 8, how about at least coming up w/ a minimal "DearGodI'veSurvivedRetrospect8!" pricing tier for those of us who have been waiting forever and a day for some relief? Or maybe at least a T-shirt that says, "I survived Retrospect 8"? Sheesh.

Fred Turner

FanTASTic!!! I am SO happy to know that after suffering w/ what is essentially a public beta for 2.5 years, having no updates in 15 months, and getting absolutely no information or acknowledgment of feedback or problem reports for about as long, we now are expected to ***PAY*** to "upgrade" in order to receive improvements to "stability" and "performance" (from the PR), which clearly crippled the previous "version"...as if we're actually getting a new (!) version of the program and could even be assured it has addressed our concerns! That is SUPER news! I guess if we do that, we can look forward to a 9.1 release in February 2013 after months and months of silence about the new bugs introduced in 9.0. I "only" have a dozen or so clients using Retrospect currently...I'll bet they'd be thrilled to pay for an "upgrade" after having to deal w/ an unfinished product for this long. Thanks for the insult, Roxio/Retrospect/EMC/Dantz/WhoTheHellEver. Well done.

If you insist on being paid for fixing ailments that you neglected in Retro 8, how about at least coming up w/ a minimal "DearGodI'veSurvivedRetrospect8!" pricing tier for those of us who have been waiting forever and a day for some relief? Or maybe at least a T-shirt that says, "I survived Retrospect 8"? Sheesh.

Fred Turner

Could not agree with you more. I am actually in a worst boat because in order to use the new version it requires our company to purchase new hardware which we can not afford on top of the upgrade price. I am sorry to say but the management of Retrospect is becoming a joke.

My only remaining Retrospect install is so badly broken that I have to go onsite once a week to push data from the clients to the server because the agents or server are borked. I was hoping for a free upgrade to restore confidence, now I'm not sure if I can recommend the client spend the money.

Just a reminder- nobody wants to work for free, but if you fail to get anybody to pay the upgrade price today, you won't have a business tomorrow. You need to restore confidence in the product first, then monetize it.

I too have been using the product since version 1. It was a good friend until version 6......

cheers

Adam

Fred Turner

Totally agree with Fred, as a photographer that runs his own business, the layout for Retrospect 8 was a big expense that I made to protect my work, well it's been unprotected for the most part of 12 + months due to problems with 8.2.

I can't afford to spend another $600 on a product that may or may not work, I can't afford the risk of throwing that amount of money away again, considering the total lack of concern or help shown by Roxio for the problems being experienced by those customers effected by the show stopping issues.

I've stayed about the forums waiting for a solution to come about, but it would appear that that is now a great big F**** Y** give us more money & we will give you no guarantees that the problems are fixed, or that we will do anything to fix them going forward. I too was hoping for at least a minimal cost upgrade price, not a 'hey you know what it's a new product, go pay full price' what about looking after your loyal customers. What a joke!

I expect that all we will get to these comments is the customary wall of silence, so I guess it time for me to finally say good by to Retospect, and hopefully at some point in the not to distance future I will be able to evaluate and purchase, a competitor product that actually works, or at least comes from a company that is interested in looking after it's customers.

Hippy: Upgrade pricing is available for Retrospect 9. I am not sure why you believe the upgrade is a full price purchase. Upgrade details are found at:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/retrospect/upgrade/upgrade-options-mac.html

Wow, really?? You know exactly what he meant. "Upgrade pricing" is not "minimal"...you are basically making no concession that Retro 8 was a big, steaming, pile o' s**t, or that your handling of the problems w/ it warrants some sort of good faith gesture toward those of us who have been suffering for YEARS now. But definitely ignore ALL of the other concerns and direct Hippy to a link w/ upgrade pricing. Nice work. Thanks for nothing.

Like a recent poster said, you certainly need to be compensated for your efforts, but right now, your previously compensated efforts were never completed satisfactorily. Right now, you need to finish off bug-fixing, re-establish the shaken faith, THEN worry about "new versions" and upgrade pricing. If you'd do that, I doubt anyone here would have a problem w/ "upgrade pricing".

There's a right way to handle things here, and there's the way you're handling them. I urge you to reconsider the former.

Even-more-pist-off Fred...a Retrospect user since the v4 days

Yeah- the 250 bug fixes should have gone out in v8.3 rather than keeping them from the customers in an effort to get them to upgrade to v9. And those who skipped the agony of v8 get the same upgrade pricing. I understand the logistics of it, but that doesn't mean I'm not looking for something else to use to backup my client machines.

Hippy: Upgrade pricing is available for Retrospect 9. I am not sure why you believe the upgrade is a full price purchase. Upgrade details are found at:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/retrospect/upgrade/upgrade-options-mac.html

$940 for an upgrade of a product that has been unstable and unreliable (to be generous) only seems “cheap” compared to the $1700 “regular” purchase price. For a small office (like my day job) with a couple of servers and a few desktops, it’s unreasonably expensive. There’s no way I could convince my boss to spend that much money on a product that has barely managed to be usable in version 8.x.

I imagine you don’t set the pricing scheme, but I hope you’re passing on to whoever does that the level of expense is another slap in the face to customers who’ve struggled to get version 8.x to work at all.

$940 for an upgrade of a product that has been unstable and unreliable (to be generous) only seems “cheap” compared to the $1700 “regular” purchase price. For a small office (like my day job) with a couple of servers and a few desktops, it’s unreasonably expensive. There’s no way I could convince my boss to spend that much money on a product that has barely managed to be usable in version 8.x.

I imagine you don’t set the pricing scheme, but I hope you’re passing on to whoever does that the level of expense is another slap in the face to customers who’ve struggled to get version 8.x to work at all.

I agree!

I agree as well.

Guest Miribilis

Dear Retrospect-

I feel ill-used and am beginning to regret having trusted you. Your string of broken promises from 8.0 all the way up through the non-existant 8.3 has steadily chipped away at 12 years of my loyalty to Retrospect.

Having to pay for an upgrade to version 9, is cold. It feels like you're saying "*%# you" right to my face.

I realize that your 8.x customers are pretty much your only customers, and you'll probably not pickup any new adopters, which precludes offering a no charge upgrade, but the good, right, and honest thing to do is to release the 8.3 update. Please understand that 8.2 is still unreliable and flawed. I can live without new features, I just need a backup I can trust. Please do the right thing for your customers.

- Eric

I'm in agreement with most others here. Retrospect is a good program with lots of promise. But when your customers constantly come to you, pleading for help with your flagship program, and you ignore them, give them no help and basically tell them "Quit bugging me, go back to your cave and wait and I just might maybe possibly do something sometime" it really is a slap in the face. It does tremendous harm to your brand and to your image. I've been with Retrospect since version 4, and yes, 8.2 sucked worse than any program I've ever used. And I paid a big chunk of change for it. My boss, who writes the checks, knows of my frustrations with it. But after the way this has all been handled, I can't go to him and say "Hey boss, they finally released a new version of Retrospect. No way to know if it actually fixes all the problems we've had, but there's no way to know unless we pony up a thousand bucks. Can we buy it?" Umm yeah, that'll go over real well.

Yes, I acknowledge Retrospect has bounced around from owner to owner, and that you're now back on your own. The way you instill confidence in your customers (you know, the ones providing the cash for your paycheck) is by being upfront with us, acknowledge that problems exist and fix them to our satisfaction. Anything less and you'll continue to lose customers and your reputation.

Guest Steve Maser

I'm not going to defend the pricing one way or the other (and I can imagine the inactivity Roxio/Rovi gave to the product is a factor in the pricing/versioning here), but you *can* get a free 30-day trial version to see if it fixes the bugs you are having. If it doesn't, don't upgrade. If it does, then make your decision based on that.