Cannot Select Client Volumes For Backup

I have just upgraded from 6.1 to 8.2 and I am doing workgroup backups over the network. When the server connects to the clients, it only sees the login partition. I need to backup another partition on the disk, not the login partition. The "Backup Selected Volumes" option does not allow me to select the correct partition. What do I need to do to fix this?

You need to make sure that the other partition is mounted on client and then hit the Refresh button to update the client. If the refresh does not work you need to delete the client and re-add it with the second partition mounted and it should allow you to select the second partition.

• 4 weeks later...

You need to make sure that the other partition is mounted on client and then hit the Refresh button to update the client. If the refresh does not work you need to delete the client and re-add it with the second partition mounted and it should allow you to select the second partition.

Thanks for the reply. The partitions are all mounted at startup on the client. I have tried various combinations of refresh and adding/removing the client from the source list. So far nothing seems to work.

I verified today that I can see external USB and Firewire drives that are attached to the client. However, I cannot see other partitions of the internal disk.

This has been a problem with Retrospect 8.x on and off for a whole year. There are still posts about this on the EMC site from 2010, where it is described as a known issue. Apparently a reliable fix is continues to elude the engineers remaining to work on this product. MY Windows XP and G4 Mac Leopard CLient computers are on and awake and can be seen on the network from the Finder on the host Intel Mac Mini. FOr a while, everything seemed to be tolerable; clients would not be automatically found, but manually locating using the Locate tool in Retrospectdid. Now Locate by multicast does not work at all. Refresh does not work either. Restarting the Retrospect engine on the host does not work. CLient address stubbornly remains stuck on the last known good value, even though the client's actual IP address has changed. The only things that do work is reboot the client and then do a refresh from the host or to to locate directly by entering the IP address of the clients manually. Neither of these are an acceptable or reliable situation for critical backups to be run automatically. It is no way to live if you want to keep things simple by using DHCP. Roxio knowledgebase article 000135RT talks about this problem and advises to open port 497 to UDP and TCp traffic in the Firewall, but even allowing all incoming connections (basically turning the Firewall off) does not provide a solution.

• 1 month later...

The problem was that my client partitions had single-leter names (such as "u" and "s"). There is apparently a bug in 8.2 that prevents backing up short partition names on clients, but allows short names on the local machine. Single-character names work for Windows clients (e.g. "C"), but not for MacOSX clients. The external firewire and USB drives that I tested just happened to have long names, so they worked.

So for now, I'm waiting for a new version to fix this problem. I have 20+ clients that all have "u" partitions that need to be backed up.

It is August now and I've been waiting over two months to get this to work. Any idea when this will be fixed?

So for now, I'm waiting for a new version to fix this problem. I have 20+ clients that all have "u" partitions that need to be backed up.

I suggest you give them longer names.

It is August now and I've been waiting over two months to get this to work. Any idea when this will be fixed?

It doesn't seem you are aware that this is a user-to-user discussion. We're all voluteers here and our guess for a date is as good as yours.

The official support is here:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/retrospect/contact.html

Edited by Lennart Thelander