Error 1100, Can't Read--Causes Hang...

The script I'm running seems to be doing nothing, however Retrospect shows the the script is running. The last entry in the log of this currently running script shows error 1100, can't read (invalid handle). Is there a way to get the script to safely stop without restarting the computer? This has happened before and the only way to stop the script was to restart the computer.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Mike

What kind of script is this? Unless you add a schedule of allowed executions, a Proactive script is active all the time.

Where did you see that the script was running? The Activities/Running pane? This window offers the option to pause or stop a running script. However, clicking on "Stop" can require several minutes before the script actually stops running, at least as reported in the Console.

Hi twickland

The script is a scheduled script that runs at a specific time each day. I can see the script is running by the spinning arrows in the activity pane as well as seeing the progress bar for the backup. Of course when it hangs there is no further activity on the progress bar and the tape drive seems to be idle. The log activity has the error as the most recent activity entered into the log. Clicking on the stop button seems to do nothing. I have let the program try to stop for over an hour. Again, a hard reboot is the only way I know to recover. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike

I can see the script is running by the spinning arrows in the activity pane as well as seeing the progress bar for the backup. Of course when it hangs there is no further activity on the progress bar and the tape drive seems to be idle.

Does the spinning activity icon also stop moving?

If you go to Activity Monitor, what does it reveal about the status of Retrospect (the console app) and RetroEngine. Unless they are listed as "not responding," I wouldn't call what you're experiencing a hang.

The log activity has the error as the most recent activity entered into the log.

In my experience there is typically a delay between when an event occurs and when it is entered in the log. There's a chance that the 1100 error may not be the direct cause of the slowdown/looping/hang (whatever this thing turns out to be).

Clicking on the stop button seems to do nothing. I have let the program try to stop for over an hour. Again, a hard reboot is the only way I know to recover. Any ideas?

Agreed, an hour would seem to be enough time for the activity to stop. Did you try clicking on the stop button more than once?

Have you gone to System Preferences and tried stopping the Engine? (This could take some time, so be prepared to wait.)

If it doesn't stop in, say, an hour and you then manually kill the RetroEngine process, can you restart it without rebooting the machine?

A couple of other things to try:

1. Run Disk Utility on the affected volume(s) to determine if there's an issue with the directory.
  2. Run Retrospect with a clean configuration: Quit the console, stop the engine, and drag the file Config80 from /Library/Application Support/Retrospect to the desktop or somewhere else safe; then restart the engine, launch the console, and run a test backup.
  3. Uninstall and reinstall the engine and console.

When you report back, also give us more information about your hardware setup, OS version, and version of Retrospect.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the spinning activity icon also stop moving?

No, it stays spinning.

If you go to Activity Monitor, what does it reveal about the status of Retrospect (the console app) and RetroEngine. Unless they are listed as "not responding," I wouldn't call what you're experiencing a hang.

It looks normal. No messages of "not responding"

In my experience there is typically a delay between when an event occurs and when it is entered in the log. There's a chance that the 1100 error may not be the direct cause of the slowdown/looping/hang (whatever this thing turns out to be).

Agreed, an hour would seem to be enough time for the activity to stop. Did you try clicking on the stop button more than once?

Yes I tried clicking twice.

Have you gone to System Preferences and tried stopping the Engine? (This could take some time, so be prepared to wait.)

Yes. I did try to stop the engine, but nothing happened.

If it doesn't stop in, say, an hour and you then manually kill the RetroEngine process, can you restart it without rebooting the machine?

The only way to stop the process is to restart the machine, which has to be shut down by holding the power button. Trying to shut down the machine cause the machine to hang and never shut down.

A couple of other things to try:

1. Run Disk Utility on the affected volume(s) to determine if there's an issue with the directory.
  2. Run Retrospect with a clean configuration: Quit the console, stop the engine, and drag the file Config80 from /Library/Application Support/Retrospect to the desktop or somewhere else safe; then restart the engine, launch the console, and run a test backup.
  3. Uninstall and reinstall the engine and console.

When you report back, also give us more information about your hardware setup, OS version, and version of Retrospect.

I'm running an Intel mac dual core 2.8GHz, with four gigs ram, leopard 10.5.6, and the latest Retrospect 8. My tape drive is an HP LTO-5 and my storage is connected via iSCSI. Disks are mounted using the Studio Network Solutions front end. The disks are moounted Read Only.

Thanks.

Mike

The only way to stop the process is to restart the machine, which has to be shut down by holding the power button

That would be the only way _you have found_ is to hard restart the machine? What other methods have you tried?

- Did you try to unload the engine via launchctl? (sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.roxio.launchd.retroengine.plist)

- Did you try to kill the RetroEngine process?

> my storage is connected via iSCSI. Disks are mounted using the Studio Network Solutions front end

- Is this the Source volume for each/every operation that fails this way?

- How large is the Source?

- At what point does it stop/fail (Scan? Copy? Compare?)

- Have you defined a small(er) Favorite Folder on the same volume to use as a Source?

- Have you tried testing with a different physical Source volume?

That would be the only way _you have found_ is to hard restart the machine? What other methods have you tried?

- Did you try to unload the engine via launchctl? (sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.roxio.launchd.retroengine.plist)

- Did you try to kill the RetroEngine process?

> my storage is connected via iSCSI. Disks are mounted using the Studio Network Solutions front end

- Is this the Source volume for each/every operation that fails this way?

- How large is the Source?

- At what point does it stop/fail (Scan? Copy? Compare?)

- Have you defined a small(er) Favorite Folder on the same volume to use as a Source?

- Have you tried testing with a different physical Source volume?

I tried to stop the engine from the System Preferences, but it didn't seem to do anything. I didn't try any terminal commands. I would need guidance to do that. Is it as simple as copying the above text to get it to stop? Also, I did not try to kill the process from the Activity program.

The source volumes are all attached via iSCSI to the SAN.

The volume is 500gigs

It fails on scan.

Not other favorites are selected, only whole volumes are sources.

I have 14 volumes all being backed up. The only volumes that give me trouble are those that are formatted HFS+ but are in use by a PC using the paragon driver. I'm going to have to try a different driver. I thinkn that it corrupts the directories.

mike

Depending on what the engine is in the process of doing, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to many minutes before the engine stops.

OK. I have let the engine try and stop on it's own and let go for over an hour and it didn't stop. I also tried stopping the process but that didn't stop either after an hour.

Next time this happens, I will do a very thought-out troubleshoot.

Mike