How to recreate Snapshots?

Wilbour

I have WinXP Pro and Retrospect Express 6.0.222. I have a backup set with some 21 backups made to the set at different times. I wish to retrieve Snapshots from my backup (disk) sets to retrieve files, as they were at the times of these earlier backups. The problem is that the backup set does not appear to contain any Snapshots. I only seem to have the latest Snapshot stored in the Catalog(ue) file.

1. Why have Snapshots not been created while I made the backups?

2. Is there any way to recreate Snapshots in general, and specifically from existing earlier backups?

Thanks for any advice.

Wilbour

According to the help file,

“every time you back up, Retrospect Express places a Snapshot of the source volume in the Backup Set.

A Snapshot is a list—you can think of it as a picture—of all files and folders on a volume when it is backed up. For each volume, one Snapshot is stored in the Catalog File and a copy of the same Snapshot is stored on the backup medium. Following each successful backup or archive operation, the old Catalog Snapshot is replaced but old media Snapshots remain untouched and Retrospect Express adds new Snapshots to the medium….

…You can retrieve Snapshots from media if you want to restore a volume, folder, or file as it was at any given backup.”

Hi Foster,

Thanks for your quick reply. When I followed your advice by going to Configure > Backup Sets > Selecting the relevant Backup Set > Properties > Snapshots tab > Add, I could find all the missing Snapshots and retrieve them, so I in the next step could go to Restore > Selected Files, and select the desired Snapshot. This worked fine, so problem is solved.

My problem, however, was due to what appears to be an error in the help file (se below), where it suggests I should be able to go directly to Restore > Selected Files, and there add the missing Snapshot. This doesn’t work, and that is why I needed help.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Wilbour

Beginning of the Help files instructions to retrieve and use missing Snapshots:

When you do not want the most recent files in the most recent backup, you can retrieve a Snapshot from an earlier date to restore a file or folder from an older backup.

1 From the navigation bar, click Restore4Selected Files.

2 In this window's top list, select the Backup Set from which to restore. (Click More if your desired set is not listed.)

3 In the window's bottom list, you can see the volume's current Snapshot. Perhaps the older file you want does not exist in this current Snapshot, but you know it is in the Backup Set. Click Add Snapshot to list all Snapshots in the Backup Set.

4 Select the Snapshot you want, and click Retrieve. Retrospect Express obtains the older Snapshot from the Backup Set media (which may require you to insert media) and adds it to the list in the restore source window.

5 With your desired Snapshot selected in the restore source window, click OK.

Archived