Retro 50205 Server running under OS 9.1 on a 7200. Retrospect has default 3800k memory allocation.

Backing up OSX client 10.4.1 1gb memory. Working okay if I have a subvolume of only the user folder selected. If I try to select backing up the entire drive, the log file shows:

! 5/23/2002 11:04:35 PM: Not enough memory

5/23/2002 11:15:11 PM: Execution incomplete.

Remaining: 96448 files, 2.3 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:56:03 (00:55:50 idle/loading/preparing)

Is this a problem on the client or the server? The client has the developer kit loaded which helps account for the 96,000+ files. If it is a server memory problem, what are the guidelines for increasing memory to account for the large number of files on an OSX system? I remember under the beta program there were problems with the catalog file not handling these amounts of files properly.

Thank you,

peter

• 2 weeks later...

A follow up to my initial post. Retro 5 installed to use 3800k of memory under OS 9. The manual says the default should be 7800k. When I selected 7800k, Retrospect finally presented an out of memory error with the -108 error when it tried to back up the OS X client. That error number never showed up in the logs prior to increasing memory. I increased the memory allotted to the program to 38000k. The client was then successfully backed up.

Dantz needs to write a separate section in their manual about memory requirements especially in dealing with OS X clients. Users should not have to troubleshoot a basic setup problem like this due to poor documentation.

peter

Archived