Linux Client

Hello:

I have read in these fora that users have successfully used Retrospect with Fedora. I am running Retrospect Pro 7.5 on WindowsXP and I want to backup files on a Linux Fedora Core 5 box.

The client install seemed to go OK. It said that Restrospect Client had started, and I can stop and start it, but I cannot add the Linux client to the Restrospect application on the Windows machine. I get a -530 Client Not Found error. The Windows user has permissions to some directories on the Linux box and files there can be retrieved manually.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

waltr:

I can do immediate backups, but not scheduled ones. I get a 1017 error, insufficient permissions.

It works if I do the backup on the Linux box as a Retrospect client, but that doesn't have the directories I need. If I do the backup as a network client, I get the 1017 error.

There's the option to "login as" on the client. I've tried the SAMBA login, which is what I think it would want, but that doesn't work. The Linux user login doesn't work either. I tried changing the logon for the launcher in the Windows services, but the SAMBA logon prevents access to the WinTel computers and the system admin is the only user.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

hi ken,

can you be more specific about the directories you need to back up? you should have access to all directories through the client, but perhaps this is a special situation that i am unaware of.

you shouldn't have to change the logon for the 'Retrospect Launcher Service' directly. there is a preference, "Configure->Preferences->Security->Always Run Retrospect as the specified user" that will set that for you. i think your best option would be to use the client (as the daemon is owned by root and should have all acces), so maybe we should try that route first and see where it gets us.

cheers.

Hi Ken,

The best way to get around 1017 errors is to just use the Retrospect client. If there are partitions for the machine that are not available in source selection windows, you should be able to force them to show up by going to Configure>Clients, then getting the properties for that client machine. On the Volumes tab it should list out all volumes for that machine, but only highlighted volumes will be available for use within Retrospect.

If for some reason you can not get the Retrospect client to work, you can set a user name/login in Retrospect by going to Configure>Preferences>Security. User name and password are obvious, but 'log on to' is going to be either the domain name, or if there is no domain, the full computer name of the computer Retrospect is installed on. Leave the launcher service with the default login permissions (Local System + Allow service to interact with desktop).

Wltr:

I believe you are right about Retrospect being logged in as root. So dir "/" refers to everything.

I haven't done a restore yet, so I haven't seen what files have been backed up. That's next.

Thanks again.

Ken

Archived