Restoring a Windows 2000 client

My backup server is Retrospect 5.0 on OS X. What is the proper method of restoring a Windows 2000 client that is in running order (except for a few problems I can't resolve)?

I want to restore it from a backup of an identical computer. The manual talks about reinstalling windows 2000 to a new folder "wintemp" (which I don't want to do) and then using the "Restore an entire disk" option. Followed by selecting the destination and the "replace corresponding files" option.

Could I start the client and rename the "WINNT" directory at that point and follow the rest of the instructions as above?

Could I start the client and rename the "WINNT" directory at that point and follow the rest of the instructions as above?

No. You must reinstall Windows into a temp directory. The instructions in our book are correct.

OR you could upgrade to version 5.6 and then you can do a Live restore which means you do not have to reinstall Windows before doing the full restore. It will allow you to restore right over the top of the live operating system.

• 9 months later...

Archived