5.0.203 still gobbles memory

Workgroup 5.0.203 still has a pretty major memory leak running on my 2 x 1ghz tower. I left it unattended over the long weekend and came back to find that memory was completely utilized and that page swaps were slowing things down. I quit Retrospect and it freed up >380MB of memory!

I need a server backup solution that doesn't need frequent attention. Any idea when there will be a version that actually doesn't leak memory?

In reply to:

Workgroup 5.0.203 still has a pretty major memory leak running on my 2 x 1ghz tower

Have you tried the current version? The one that was released over a month ago to address the memory leak in the retrorun process?

Version 5.0.205 is at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=intro_mac_retrospect#update

I have 5.0.205 and am still occasionally seeing this problem as well.

I've started rebooting my Retrospect server weekly.

it will get to the point where I can't even quit the program without the color wheel spinning and spinning.

(I leave my machines running in "backup server" mode 24/7 -- maybe this has something to do with it?)

I'm running 5.0.205 of Retrospect Desktop and I see this exact problem. When I got back to my computer after retrospect had been asking for a new disk overnight, the Mac was taking 30 seconds or more to respond to mouse clicks. When I was finally able to run 'ps' from a command line I found that retrospect was using more than 1.2 GB of virtual memory! This sounds like a pretty major memory leak.

I hope they fix this soon. It's a pain having to babysit the computer continuously during a full backup (up to eight hours).

-- Chris

In reply to:

I'm running 5.0.205 of Retrospect Desktop and I see this exact problem

Can you be specific about exactly what you're doing and exactly what you're seeing?

Which process is using all the VM? Is it the LaunchCFMApp (which is the Retrospect application) or is it the RetroRun process (which is the scheduling deamon)?

Are you also in Backup Server Mode when this happens?

Dave

Sorry to be so long in replying -- I had to get back to machine I ran into this problem on.

I am running Mac OS X 10.1.4 on a Power Macintosh G3 266, Retrospect 5.0.205, backing up to a Lacie Firewire DVD-RAM/R. I am using an Orange Micro PCI Firewire card to communicate with the drive.

I run a backup script to dump all my hard drives to DVD RAM and run the script from the run menu. I tell it to do a recycle backup, and I put in a 5.2 GB DVD-RAM disk that has something on it already, and the window says "Please select a new disk. It will be named " and it shows that I have a 2.4 GB disk inserted and indicates that it is "Ready". If I hit the device status button, it tells me:

FireWire-A (Unknown response) FireWire

At this point, the LauchCFMApp that runs Retrospect is using about 50% of the CPU and is increasing its memory usage at a rate of about 260 MB/hour (according to the VSZ column from the 'ps auxwww' command).

Interestingly enough, if I remove the DVD-RAM disk, stop the backup, quit and restart Restrospect, the Device Status (from the Devices button under the Configure tab of the main window) is:

FireWire-A: MATSHITA DVD-RAM LF-D310 A117 Panasonic DVD-RAM/R (1.51)

Similarly, if I run this backup with an initialized but unerased 9.4 GB disk in the drive the device status is the same as shown in the line above and the memory does not grow. It appears that the memory leak is somehow associated with the erroneous device status line.

I should also note that if I am around to insert the proper disk before the memory leak brings the machine to its knees, the backups proceed correctly on the 5.2 GB disks.

By the way, I am running in backup mode, not backup server mode.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday night Retrospect ran automatically (on the same machine and configuration given in the previous message), but this time the LaCie firewire DVD-RAM/R drive was not connected. Once again, while waiting for the required backup disk to be inserted, Retrospect grew and grew until it brought my machine to its knees. When I got back this morning, I finally managed to run ps and got:

USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TT STAT TIME COMMAND

root 9331 0.0 0.0 963880 20 ?? U 108:21.03 /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp /Volumes/Stan/Applications/Retrospect 5.0/Retrospect/Contents/MacOS/Retrospect

Has anybody figured out a solution to this (besides waiting for Dantz to fix it)? The only thing I can think of is to have another background process running all the time which looks for intstances of LaunchCFMApp running Retrospect and kills the processif it gets above a certain virtual memory size.

In reply to:

I had to get back to machine I ran into this problem on.

Chris,

Try as I might, I just can't make Retrospect do this on my G4/733 Quicksilver.

Here's what I tried; what do you see that's different between this and how yours is configured?

- Configure Removable Backup Set

- Configure script to backup the boot HD to this set (60,000 files, about 3 gig)

- Run Recycle backup from Run menu

- Leave Media Request window open without inserting any removable media

- Watch RSIZE and VSIZE in top for evidence of memory creeping

In my tests, the memory numbers stayed about the same over an hour of observation.

Any chance you can pull the FireWire card from the Beige G3 and see if the problem persists?

Dave

Another thread also talks about this problem (named ""LaunchCFMA" is still sucking RAM. Why?"):

http://www.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Desktopworkgrupx&Number=9103&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

I see the same problem running Backup Server over the course of a couple of days. It seems to be a continuation of the problems I saw with Retrospect 4.3 running on Mac OS 9.2.2.

I posted my description on that other thread.

Archived