Restoring to New Computer

Achecks

I use Retrospect 7.5. I am using Windows XP Professional. Have created a catalog on new computer after installing Retrospect onto new computer hard drive. I can see BackUp Set and files with various times. I used the default "Retrieve Files & Folders" in the "Find Files" section. I want to create all the files as they were on my old computer. Should I use "Restore Entire Volume" as the selection and resotre to "Local Disk (C:)"? I realize that most of my applications will require an orginal disk to make them restore the registry files on this computer but need to get this new computer looking like the old one. This is for a small business. Very important to me. Please help. Thanks

Hi,

I would recommend against performing a full restore to a new computer. Typically the restored OS does not function properly when it finds itself on a different set of hardware.

Your best bet here would be to reinstall the applications needed for this machine and introduce the data from your backup to bring the applications up to date. This will require some extra work, but it is more likely to get you where you need to be without any unexpected headaches.

• 1 month later...

More over it would be a good idea to reinstall your OS on the machine before restoring, then you should use the option to replace corresponding files. that way you'll be able to boot off it and do the reinstalling of your applications...

That's my advice for what it's worth!

Archived