Retrospect Newbie Needs Help

I am using Retrospect 6.0 with my Maxtor One Touch Hard Drive.

Right now I backup my files from my work computer using the Maxtor One Touch.

When I take the Maxtor home, I then transfer all the files to my home computer.

So essentially, I have two backups. (The Maxtor and my home computer)

My question is - What is the easiest way to copy all of the files to my home computer. Right now I basically delete all the files off of a drive I created for my work files. Then I copy all the files off the Maxtor to my home computer. Unfortunately, this takes well over 2 hours to do since I have over 45 GB worth of files.

Is there a way to copy the files off the Maxtor to my home computer and have it only copy (and replace) the new files that have been created and any other existing files that have been modified? So basically, I just want to copy and replace modified files and copy brand new files - which should not take much time, I would presume?

Hopefully, this makes sense, Any insight would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Hi

I must ask - you just want to have an offsite backup for your work computer? If so, that is what you have on your Maxtor drive when you bring it home. Transfering the files to your home computer seems pretty unecassary to me.

Regards

Berndt-Inge

I want to have access to my work files at home, without having to bring home the Maxtor all the time. But just periodically - like maybe once a month transferring all the files to my home computer. Just in case the Maxtor gets stolen or something awful like that.

Is it possible to do what I am asking?

Many variants are possible, may be an easier way to do this if we better understand what you are doing. Where is Retrospect involved in this process? Seems like you have files on the Maxtor at work, then you carry the maxtor home, transfer files from the Maxtor to your home computer. I don't see Retrospect in the loop anywhere.

russ

Using the one-touch from Maxtor, Retrospect backs up my work files to the Maxtor. I then transfer the files from the Maxtor to my home computer.

Can I use Retrospect to only "replace newer files" on my home computer, without having to delete all files and then copy all files?

Hi Steve,

The option you are looking for is "replace corresponding files." This is on the drop-down menu in the destination selection when you are setting up a duplicate. You should be careful with this option, though. It will add new files, and it won't delete old files, but any files that match will be updated from your Maxtor.

For example: you bring your Maxtor home and duplicate all the files into a folder on your computer. You work on some of the files and a few weeks later you bring the Maxtor home and duplicate again. This time the files you worked on at home and saved to that same directory will be rolled back to the version on the Maxtor drive. There is no way to get around this because Retrospect is not synchronization software, it is backup software. So when you work on files that you have duplicated from the Maxtor, be sure to save them into a different folder afterward.

Hi,

Yes, you can create a script for this process by going to Automate>Manage Scripts>New>Duplicate. Name your script, then make sure you're in Advanced Mode and you'll notice it looks almost the same as an immediate duplicate, except you have the option to add a schedule. You don't need to add a schedule, however. Save the script without a schedule and you will be able to run the duplicate any time you want by going to the Run menu at the very top of Retrospect, select the script name, and hit execute.

Don't forget to set 'Replace Corresponding Files' on the destination window.

Archived