Warning: Client license upgrade costs

After finally moving about 200 AppleTalk users over to TCP/IP over the last few weeks I decided to upgrade to Retrospect Server 5.0 this morning. When I went to the client window, only a few of them lit up as being active. So I went to the License Manager and saw that many of our licenses were marked as "too old." I did some searches of the forum and found out that the server upgrade only upgraded 100 licenses (we have 261).

I called Dantz customer service to get pricing on upgrades for the clients and was told that a 100 client upgrade was $899.95 and 50 clients was $499.95. (That would give us 250 clients, which would be fine.)

I have used Retrospect since version 1.5 and this is the first time that we have had to pay for client upgrades. And the $1400 cost in addition to the $350 we paid for the server upgrade is way out of line. This at a time when my employer is facing major budget cuts so I don't think we will be able to pay for this upgrade.

I used to say that there were two applications that I recommended without reservation: Quicken and Retrospect. (You folks at Dantz can ask your former coworker Jay Matheson for verification of that!) But now that it looks like you're following the Microsoft model of cornering the market and then charging whatever you want, I think we are going to have to find another backup solution.

For the time being we'll stick with Retrospect 4.3 but as more OSX clients come online we'll be looking for something else.

In reply to:

I have used Retrospect since version 1.5 and this is the first time that we have had to pay for client upgrades.

And this is a bad thing?

All these years, and Dantz never forced users to pay for new client licenses! Think of all the money you saved over the years!

But now, with a new operating system to support, there is a cry against a $9/seat upgrade to work with the new version. I just don't see how a business large enough to have over 250 desktop computers can feel that its unfair to pay a reasonable fee for each client. How much did it cost you to upgrade all those machines from Office 3.0 to 4.2 to 5.0 to 98 to 2001 to Vx? Or Photoshop from 3.0 to 4.0 to 5.0 to 6.0 to 7.0?

btw, you might consider doing some comparison shopping online. Prices in the channel appear to be lower then what you've listed in your post.

Dave

> And the $1400 cost in addition to the $350 we paid for the

> server upgrade is way out of line.

For goodness sake people, get a grip. You are upgrading 200 clients at an average cost of $8.75, with the server upgrade included, and 50 licenses to spare. Do you use any other commercial software that costs so little to upgrade?? Having some of the upgrade cost based on the number of clients just plain makes sense.

I paid the same $350 for a 40 client system, and I felt this was pretty reasonable for mission critical software that is used company wide. Just a month prior to that I paid $179 just to add 5 clients, getting 100 licenses for my $350 seems a pretty good deal!

> For the time being we'll stick with Retrospect 4.3 but as more OSX

> clients come online we'll be looking for something else.

Paying in advance hurts sure, but all of your clients are eventually going to shift to Mac OS X, and they can switch over without additional cost and with minimal effort.

Just my opinion,

quote: Having some of the upgrade cost based on the number of clients just plain makes sense.

Does it make sense to have ALL of the upgrade costs based on the number of clients? Does it make sense to charge MORE per client to update clients than to update the server package? Maybe. I didn't expect it to. And I'm VERY GLAD to find out on this bbs that my old client licenses won't work with retro 5! I didn't see any mention of this anywhere on Dantz's web page. It may be there, but not obvious enough. I was about to order the workgroup update. BIG MISTAKE! Now I will order the server update instead. It would have been a nasty surprise if I hadn't read this note!

Retro Workgroup update: $200 and 20 clients

update three 10 packs of clients: $300

50 clients, $500.

Actually, it costs us ~$35 per client to update the entire MS Office Pro suite. Volume academic microsoft client. So no, I'm not blown away by $10 per client update for retrospect. I guess it's a fair price.

What ticks me off is that I purchased a 5-user Client License for 4.3 just this past January.

Now that I've upgraded to v5.0 for OS X, the License Manager tells me that the code for my users is invalid!

What gives, Dantz??

I guess I could kiss my $179 goodbye if I ever want to stay in an OS X environment.

I'm not sure what upgrade you purchased, but the desktop upgrade ($99) only upgrades your application and does not cover the client pack. The 5 pack that you purchased was 4.3, and had support for OS 9 or before only. If you'd like these clients to function in an environment that includes OS X backup, you'll want to upgrade them as well.

You can upgrade your 5 clients separately for an additional $69, or you can contact customer service and get the Workgroup. The Workgroup upgrade, at $199, upgrades your application and your 5 clients, and actually will give you 15 additional clients in that price.

Archived