What is the Advanced Tape Support Add-On in Retrospect 6.5?

Advanced Tape Support

The Advanced Tape Support add-on dramatically improves backup times to tape libraries/autoloaders by enabling simultaneous operations to multiple single-tape drives, autoloaders, or tape libraries with multiple drives. The Advanced Tape Support add-on is licensed for use on one Retrospect-based backup server, and it supports any number of tape drives attached to that computer. This add-on is not required for the following features, which are already built into the Retrospect product: barcode support, automated cleaning tape operations, sequential use of multiple tape drives, and multiple simultaneous operations when backing up to hard drives.

Can you verify if I'm correct here in my assumptions?

My understanding of this product is that it allows the following two functions. Please let me know if I'm right or wrong:

A) Multiple backups running to different drives simultaneously. ie, With a two drive library, two computers could be backed up at the same time, one to each drive.

B) Multiple tapes could be used in parallel simular to a RAID-0 format so that backup speeds are increased. ie, With a two drive library, one computer is backed up, but with the data stripped over two tapes. If this is the case, how are the tapes labeled since they are a matched set?

A. Correct

B. Incorrect. Neither a source nor a backup set can be used in multiple executions at the same time. Should a resource be in use (source or backup set) executions will 'wait' for the resource to become available.

Archived