Jump to content

Long time user ready to ditch Retrospect.


Recommended Posts

I've been on Retrospect for a number of years. About a year ago I moved our backups over to Disk-based to make life easier..instead it has been a complete nightmare.

 

Retrospect frequently borks the Catalog file. You tell it to do update the Catalog as instructed and it says it was successful, you then run a backup script and fails again. This is with a Backup set that is only a week old. I had to toss the last backup set as everytime it tried to run Retrospect would crash hard.

 

It's been constant issues with the Catalog files and Backup sets running Disk based.

 

I'm running Single Server version here. 7.0.326

 

Given how poorly it has been performing over the last year I have a very hard time justifying any $ to "upgrade" and am starting to consider moving to something else. Why should I pay more money to fix a product that isn't working as advertised?

 

Help?

 

Thanks.

Scott

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with some of what you said. I've found Retrospect's abilty to auto-correct or recover from errors to be pretty poor. As long as the network is 100%, all clients are 100%, the sever is 100%, there's plenty of free space on all disks, etc. it works pretty well. But as soon as anything goes wrong, it has a bad tendency to just throw up its hands and wait for the user/admin to fix it [with poor or no notification other than the waiting dialog], instead of autofixing (e.g. a bad catalog file) or moving on to the next backup.

 

On the Catalog problem, I've found the "Update existing Catalog file" function to be pretty useless (almost never finds an error, and even then can't fix it). I usually just move on to creating a new catalog (after hiding/deleting the old one) file from scratch. At least I haven't run into the Catalog errors happening over & over, which would be a pain with the 100+ client backups I'm running. I'm doing almost all Disk backups now rather than File backups (which rarely ran into Catalog problems).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I keep my Catalogs on the O/S drive where there is plenty of room. I let it fill the HDD's dedicated to holding backup sets and use the default grooming. Isn't that what the grooming is there for?

 

What do you mean you've gone to disk vs. file backups?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On some of my systems the OS drive *doesn't* have enough room for the Catalogs (small OS & apps drive, then large backup drives), esp. with a lot of Catalog files that keep growing bigger.

 

Retrospect can backup to a "File" backup (one big file, including the Catalog(s)) or a "Disk" backup (a bunch of smaller files, Catalog saved elsewhere). These are Retrospect terms (see the manual) choosen when you create the backup set. The Disk files are a more managable size if you want to later back them up to CD, and you can only using grooming with a Disk backup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blair,

 

If the catalog problems you're having are a result of failures in grooming, perhaps you should take a look at the latest driver update - 7.0.12.105. There were lots of problems with grooming in 7.0, many of which were fixed by the release of 7.5 and also released in that 7.0.12 update.

 

You can get the update here:

http://emcinsignia.com/supportupdates/updates/retrospect/archive/#UPDATETYPE41

 

What type of disks are you saving the backup data to? You say you're keeping the catalogs on the OS drive, which I'm assuming was the same place they were stored before you switched to disk, is that right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well the problems have been more than just Grooming I believe. I've installed the latest driver and tossed another backup set because the catalog was borked.

 

We'll see if this fixes the issues as I have a real problem paying for v7.5 just to get bug fixes for a busted v7.0!

 

This is a completely new system and setup from when we were doing Tape Drives. I've got a box with 5 disks in it. One for O/S and Catalogs and then 2 drives for each backup set that I alternate between weekly. It's a total of 600GB per Backup Set.

 

Scott

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I don't know if version 7.5 will fix your problems. I'm running v7.5 with all the updates and I have a disk backup set that is pooched. It's big (about a terabyte) and the catalog file is wrecked. Disk grooms and backups fail. When I try to rebuild the catalog file, the recatalog gets stuck at about 173 gig - the performance monitor updates, but the file count and gigabyte count have been stuck for about 2 days now. This is *really* starting to bug me!

 

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...