Problem with restore

alan_gomes

Greetings!

I attempted to upgrade the drive in a laptop from a 6GB to a 30GB drive. The computer is running Windows 2000. I did a complete backup of the 6GB drive to an external firewire hard drive using Retrospect Express 5.6.132. The backup seemed to go just fine. I also created an emergency boot CD from an ISO image.

I then swapped in the 30GB hard drive. I booted from the emergency CD and everything seemed to work just fine. After the emergency CD installed Windows it then launched Retrospect and I navigated to the backup set that I saved to the firewire hard drive. It appeared to restore the entire backup set to the 30 GB hard drive, just as it should.

The computer then rebooted and *should have* loaded my restored system. However, the computer would not boot into Windows. I received the following error message almost immediately upon attempting to boot the system:

"Windows 2000 could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware."

I know the hardware is good, and in fact Retrospect appeared to restore the entire backup set to the hard drive. I tried it a second time, including a complete reformat of the 30GB hard drive, but got the same result.

I'd appeciate any ideas on what might be causing this.

Take care,

Alan Gomes

Dear Melissa,

Thanks for your very helpful post. I checked out the article and it provided me with what I needed to figure out the problem.

It turns out that the original 6GB drive had two partitions: a 512MB (unidentified) partition that contained diagnostic software used for checking out the Omnibook 6000's hardware, and a 5.5GB (NTFS) partition that was used for the basic operation of the computer. Windows was configured to load from the 5.5GB partition (i.e., partition #2). The 30GB drive was formatted as a single partition (i.e., partition #1). After restoring to the 30GB drive, Windows attempted to load from partition #2, which no longer existed.

I could have fixed the problem in either of two ways: (1) re-partition the 30GB drive to match the configuration of the 6GB drive and restore Windows to partition 2; or (2) keep the 30GB drive as one partition but modify the boot.ini file to instruct Windows to load from partition 1.

I chose option #1. I thought it wouldn't hurt to have the 512MB partition with the diagnostic software on it, and so I reconfigured the 30GB drive that way.

It now works great! Thanks much for pointing me to the solution.

Regards,

Alan Gomes

Archived