How do I restore after HD crash?

bwing

I'm using Retrospect Express 6.0. Been backing up my main drive daily to an external drive for over a year. On external drive, I see \Retrospect\BkupDocs\1-BkupDocs - which is where I see all the "Retrospect Disk Backup Set" files.

Main HD crashed - I "think" that is where the Retrospect "catalog" file is stored. I have installed a new main HD, and now want to "restore" files from my backup. How do I get Retrospect Restore to refer to all these backup set files? I'm stuck and getting worried - I have all the backups but can't see how to refer to them.

Anyone that can help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

I have tried this process, already, several times. Seems to never finish. I guess I don't understand what the "Catalog" is - what I was hoping was that there would be a way to use all the "Disk Backup Set" files to recover from. It appears that the Rebuild Catalog is reading through all the files on my external disk ... which is NOT the original source data - that was on the HD that I had to toss/replace. Is it "recataloging" by reading the "Disk Backup Set" files?

Like I said, I run this process several times. This time I've let it run ... and run ... and run. At the start, I saw a bunch of file names streaming by ... the number of files and the size "completed" was increasing. It finally got to a point an hour or so later where no more file names were streaming by, but the little "clock" was still turning round and round. The number of files and the size hasn't changed now for about 4 hours, but the clock still is turning. Any ideas what is going on?

Since I had to start with a fresh hard disk after putting the O/S back on (XP Media), while that was going on, I connected my external USB drive to my laptop ... a PC that has never see Retrospect before. I installed Retrospect, and then started the rebuild catalog process, pointing to the external drive as the source of the backup files. Everything seemed to match up pretty will with your tutorial article. But, it si still going (nowhere).

Do I continue to wait it out? Is this process even going to work in this situation where I have a newly created system and I'm trying to "recover" the backed-up files to it? Seems like that would be the whole purpose of Retrospect, but I must be approaching it wrong. Need some more guidance if you have any. frown.gif

Yes you are correct, to rebuild the catalog file, retrospect has to read the entire contents of the backup set on your maxtor external drive.

If your external maxtor is plugged into a usb 1.0 port the catalog rebuild can take up to 24 hours...What version is your usb? 1.0 or 2.0. How old is your computer?

RetroRespect

• 3 weeks later...

I am having a similar problem. I have a Maxtor One Touch and the original Dantz SW that came with is was Retrospect Express 6.0 (I think) for Windows XP. I bought the external HD over a yr ago and since a house move I of course cannot find the original CD that came with the HD (stupid of me, I know). I hade a HD crash on my laptop HD and now I want to restore directories that I backed up. From Maxtor's site I downloaded the latest version of Retrospect Express HD 1.1. When I run the application, it does not recognize my older backup volumes. The files from the older back up are on the HD (I can see them in Explorer). When I sent to create a "test" back up set with the new SW, is clearly recognizes that restore point. I cannot find in any of th tutorials or documents how to make Retrospect recognize that older set of back ups (FYI, I manully selected directories off of my PC and backed them up...I did not set up a disaster recovery or make a wholesale image copy of my laptop.) Is this user error or is there a backwards compatibility problem? From the tutorial you posted above, I definitely recognize the GUI from the earlier version or Retrospect Express I had running, The new version I have does not look anything like that. Thanks in advance for your help.

Maybe I'm not understanding something. I had a hard drive crash and was able to reload my operating system (XP Pro), install Retrospect and roll back out from the backup on hard drive. But now, the new drive won't boot. I did a replace of the C: drive so I would get back everything including the registry (hopefully). I didn't think I'd have to reinstall all of my software, but maybe I do. Anyone have a similar experience or can advise me what I'm doing wrong?

Hello twalz68225.

If you reloaded windows, you need to make sure you have the same service pack installed as when you did the backup, before you do a restore C: to the original location.

Also, you should be choosing a restore point of local disk C: to restore.

Thanks,

RetroRespect

Hello JEH.

HD cannot recognize backups that were done with Express 6.0.

You will need to contact maxtor to get another maxtor CD, install Express 6.0 then you can restore backup that were made with Express 6.0.

Maxtor phone number is 800 262 9867.

Thanks,

RetroRespect

I have resolved my issue as best I could. I reinstalled Windows XP, restored all of my files from the backup (without using the replace disk option), set up a new user, copied all of my old user information over. I will have to reinstall just about all of my applications, which is no big deal, but I thought Retrospect would handle this. All of the program files are on the drive, but the registry doesn't know anything about the applications. I thought Retrospect would also restore the registry. It ended up being a lot more work than I would have thought I would have to do. But, I do have a functional system again.

I tried using a Disaster Recovery CD as well as just setting up an OS, installing Retrospect and restoring. Same results both ways.

If you come up with any ideas of what I may have done wrong, let me know. Maybe I'm just not understanding what Retrospect was supposed to do for me in this situation.

After a full restore, I am experiencing the same "95%" boot. In my case, after normal password/login entry, the start button and system tray appear briefly at the bottom of the screen and then disappear - leaving me with a desktop blank except for the mouse cursor. I have found that I can start the Task Manager (Cntrl/Alt/Delete) and use "run" to access many operating system components - Device Manager, Management Console, etc. but explore®.exe explicitly doesn't seem to run - a window flashes open and disappears.

I am using tape backup and a Disaster Recovery CD to restore to a new, larger hard drive using the disaster recovery process. Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Retrospect 7.0

Archived