Put catalogs on the tape

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that Retrospect puts the catalog on the beginning of each tape? This makes rebuilding catalogs quick as long as you have the last tape. My issue is that we use sdlts and as the last tape is pretty much full this means that I have to rebuild the whole of the last tape and this takes a long time. Would it not be possible to add the final catalog to the end of the tape once the backup has finished?

At present we have a script that duplicates the catalogs to another server and once in awhile we archive all the catalogs off to dvd as an easy way of have the catalogs handy if we need to use old tapes and no longer have the catalogs on the server. It would be much nicer to just have them on the end of the last tape.

Saying that. Having seperate catlogs that can easily be moved from one server to another rather than having a database is one of our favourite Retrospect features.

How do others handle this situation?

Best wishes

Michael

Hi Andi

I just use a dulicate script that copies any files that are missing from one server to another. It is set to go off a few hours after the backup as finished, just to make sure the storageset is compressed and finished with.

Cheers

Michael

Archived