Seems like New Back-up Drive is filling up to fast- need new strategy

treemike

I purchased a WD 250 gig drive earlier this year. I am only using it for Retrospect Backups. I am backing up (progressively) 2 drives. One (my C Drive - mostly programs) has about 50 Gigs on it and the other (I drive I use for Data only) has about 28. I've only done about 6 or 7 back up sets on each and I don't constantly add programs and the files that I work with daily on the data drive are relatively small. I was very surprised to see that the 250 gig drive is about 75% full already.

Do I have the wrong backup strategy? I obviously can't keep buying external drives.

If I need to start again or erase anything, how do I do that without screwing up the back up sets, etc?

Hello treemike.

If you go to my computer and open the WD drive can you tell me what folders do you have there? Also if you have a Retrospect folder, what folders are in there.

This will help me to know how you have retrospect configured so I can help you isolate the problem.

Thanks,

RetroRespect

On the WD, the folders are AA000000.rdb thru AA000075.rdb with multiple folders for each session by date (some dates have more than others). A number of sessions have the file size apparently maxed out at 614,408 kb for each backup file.

I keep my backup logs on my data drive and they are: C Backup.rbc 52,264 kb and H Backup-External Data.rbc 14,506 kb

Thanks for your help

It looks like I was mistaken again.

For some reason I thought I had a 250gb but apparently it's a 150.

Anyway, the size is of the Retrospect folder is 95gb. I have 53gb left free on the drive.

It still seems like the method I'm using is filling it up too fast. Especially if I backup at a more frequent interval, which I reallly should.

thanks again

Archived