Very slow network client backup

My backup machine is 500 mhz Mac G4 running OS 10.1.4 with brand new Exabyte VXA Firewire Tape Drive. Just installed Retrospect 5.0 and a new 5-User 5.0 Client Pack. Local backups from this machine are nice and fast - in vicinity of 150MB/minute. On the network, I get a respectable 33MB/minute average when backing up my ancient PowerBook 3400 running OS 9.1(that's way faster than my old SCSI tape drive under 9.X). But my 266 mhz Beige G3 Desktop running 9.2.2, which is on the same ethernet network going through the same hub can barely muster a 0.5MB/minute backup speed. I hit command-I in the Configure > Clients window for each of these two clients. The old Powerbook reports between 800KB and 1000KB/second as its speed, but the G3, which seems like it should be faster is registering a steady 24KB/second. I've reset my File Sharing prefs to allow remote machines to connect via TCP/IP, but with the same results. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

The Retrospect client connects directly through TCP/IP, so filesharing preferences or performance won't actually have an effect on your backup speeds.

If the speed reported in the Get Info window for that client is so slow, try swapping as much as you can with the computer that's working well. Try connecting the slow client and the backup server with a crossover cable -- if you still see slow performance, see if there are any network updates available for that computer's OS or network card. Try replacing the network card as well to see if that's the problem.

There may also be additional settings for your network or your card that can affect the speed. With a bit of troubleshooting you should be able to isolate the problem.

Archived