Need help with DVD-RAM on UJ-825 ("Superdrive")

Hello,

I got a big problem trying to backup to dvd-ram. The device is listed as qualified in the database, and DVD-RAM media are explicitly listed as supported.

But retrospect does not erase the media, configuring attempts result in errors. According to some error dialog retrospect recognized a "CD" medium.

The burner works fine with media of other types, and Disk Util recognizes dvd-ram as read-only (normal).

All Software (MacOS, Retrospect) is latest versions. How can I get the backups to work?

Retrospect Version: 6.1.126, Retrospect Driver Update version 6.1.4.103

Burner: MATSHITA (Panasonic) DVD-R UJ-825, Firmware DAM5, via ATAPI in an Apple G4 Powerbook

Tested Media are Verbatim DVD-RAM for recording, #43449, 3x certified, 4,7GB; Panasonic DVD-RAM Disc, 3x speed DVD-RAM Revision 1.0; Fujifilm DVD-RAM 4,7 GB.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi

When you create the backup set make sure you choose "removable disk". DO NOT create a CD/DVD backup set.

You may need to tell Retrospect to ignore the device in configure->devices->device status in order to use DVD-RAM.

DVD-RAM and DVD are completely different media types.

Thanks

Nate

Quote:

Hi

When you create the backup set make sure you choose "removable disk". DO NOT create a CD/DVD backup set.

You may need to tell Retrospect to ignore the device in configure->devices->device status in order to use DVD-RAM.

DVD-RAM and DVD are completely different media types.

Thanks

Nate

Hi, Nate!

Thank you for the fast response.

I have followed both your suggestions but failed to get a result with a test backup: "No removable media found". frown.gif

Sam

Hello, Natew and all,

I have done some further testing, following Natews suggestions (Ignore Device ID, Removable Disk), on a clean system install (10.4.0) to exclude possible other causes.

Of 3 blanks from different manufacturers, only the Panasonic blank gets mounted on the desktop. But in Restrospect it appears "write protected". It is the only one of the three showing a format (UDF) in Disk Util.

Could it be that Retrospect *requires* pre-formatted UDF blanks? And that it has no own capacity to override a write protection? Or is the write protection caused by the missing DVD-RAM write capacity of the Finder -- why would a manufacturer sell blanks as write-protected? How would I enable Retrospect to write to and format a DVD-RAM?

Still trying,

Sam

Archived