Improve backup server recovery speed

I just had the unfortunate experience of having to recover my retrospect *backup server*. This took *much longer* than expected because of the the need to recatalog the backup sets to perform the backup. This is frustrating because there was a perfectly usable catalog file sitting on the backup- but it could be recovered without doing a catalog in the first place.

As part of my standard backup practice, I'm going to start doing two things to avoid this pain again:

1. Keep backups of the backup server itself in a separate backup set from other machines

2. Make backups of the retrospect catalog files in a seperate job to a seperate backup set.

But this is cumbersome to configure and schedule, and there are several things that could be done "by default" to make this process go a lot faster by avoiding a full recataloging of the backup set:

1. Include a special link to the catalog files in the backup set so that they could be automatically located and recovered by retrospect without a complete recataloging of the set, allowing other files to be located and recovered without a recatalog.

2. Change the structure of the backup sets so that files for different machines are somehow "partitioned" and easily recataloged / located without having to scan through the entire backup set containing all files for all machines. This would enable a feature like a "recatalog filter" so that files not for the target machine could be skipped quickly during the recatalog process.

-Robert

• 6 years later...

Archived