Odd files prevent backup

Retrospect Desktop was not able to scan a client telling me "Error!! Scanning incomplete, error -127 (volume corrupt?)". It also said there is a folder named < HFS+ PrivateData/14>. Yes, the first four characters of the folder's name are spaces and the folder and files are invisible. The folder is at the root level of the disk. The file names are and . Both files are 4 KB in size. The client is an iBook 600 MHz, OS 10.1.4. I am the only user of the iBook and do not have a clue about where these files came from. I moved the folder to my desktop and Retrospect performs a scan and backup normally except it cannot copy the two files. Does anyone know what these files are about? It worries me to find something like this! I would like to discard the files but am too curious to do this yet.

frankly, i have the same problem on the pretty much same setup. when it comes to scanning folders on my TCP/IP client (iBook 500MHz, OS X) i get the -127 error. the scan stops on folder 1, file 0. unfortunately, except the error message, i'm not provided with any more details. upon looking on my files (incl. the invisibles), there seems to be nothing odd. First Disk Aid and Disk Warrior report that everything is fine. so what now?

thanks for any clue.

m.

i used RBrowser. next thing i'm trying is to backup folders one by one if i can find out which item triggers the error. it's just pretty time consuming operation over TCP... i'll report later.

m.

Archived