When backing up to CDR media on an external Firewire Yamaha CRW2100E firmware version 1.0N, or an internal Apple superdrive, Pioneer AO3 firmware version 1.68, it records only about 475 MB of data on a 700MB disk. Shouldn't I be able to record much more (over 600 MB at least)?

I am using Retrospect Desktop 5.0.205 on an Apple 800MHz DP, OS X. I think I was getting something like 660MB with the previous version of Retrospect.

There are no errors in the log.

I have compression turned on. As you suggested, I turned it off and was able to

get 655MB. But with compression on shouldn't I get more than 655MB, even more than

the capacity of the CD, 700MB?

I'm using TDK, 80 min, 700MB, up to 24X compatible..

It depends on the kind of files you are backing up. System and application files, for example, compress very poorly. Files that are already compressed actually expand.

If you have compression turned on, check the Retrospect operations log for compression rates.

So you're saying the reason I get only 475MB of data recorded on a 700MB CD is because I have compression turned on and this compression is so efficient that it will compress it to 475MB per disk even though the entire session is 4.3 GB and spans some 10-700MB CDs. I would think that even without compression that it should span only 7-700MB CDs and with compression it should span less than 7 disks. To me it is more efficient if it only uses 7 disks instead of 10 disks with compression.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my question but I think you have misread it. Please read it again and I'll try to explain what it is I'm asking.

My problem is that I was getting only 475MB of data on a 700MB CD. You suggested to turn off compression if it was on. I did have it on and so I turned if off and tried it again and this time with compression off I got 650 MB of data on a 700MB. I then asked why should I get only 475MB on a 700MB CD with compression turned on and you replied that it depends on the data that has to be compressed. This would make perfect sense if the total data to be recorded on the disk was no more than 650MB but it is much more than that, actually 4.3 GB is what I'm trying to backup.

Thanks for your understanding.

- 5/16/2002 8:54:39 AM: Copying T&M (1-5) on RAID 1 153GB…

5/16/2002 9:36:30 AM: Execution stopped by operator.

Remaining: 3 files, 1.3 GB

Completed: 6 files, 473.3 MB, with 0% compression

Performance: 12.3 MB/minute

Duration: 00:41:51 (00:03:32 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 5/16/2002 9:36 AM

This is an excerpt from the log. I don't see any errors reported. Compression is on but the log says 0 compression. I stopped the execution because only 473 MB was recorded on this 700MB disk. Which is what I'm trying to get an answer to.

Archived