What Is The Purpose Of Using Volumes

darchell

Hi folks, hoping someone can clear up a bit of confusion I have over the 'volumes' config option in Restrospect Professional.

In general, I do know what volumes are. They're used internally by Restrospect to define specific points on your PC. What I'm not sure of is the instances when and why you should use them instead of just using the Sources tab of a backup script, or a 'Selector' to define what you want to backup.

For example, if I want to backup my C: drive, but I only want to cover specific directories, I could create "subvolumes" for each dir I want to cover, or I could just create a Selector which defines the directories. Why bother with subvolumes?

Thanks.

Doug.

Here is what I use subvolumes for:

1: Restoring a drive from an old machine to new hardware, where all the files restored are placed into a directory, rather than replacing the whole volume proper.

2: Without having to mess with new selectors, be able to know that everything under a directory is backed up.

3: Have a fairly simple script back up the files in a subvolume more often than the main disk (a source code tree for example.)

For a lot of things, subvolumes are easier and less prone to errors than using selectors. Both are useful tools.

Hi,

It is also faster to backup via subvolumes rather than using selectors on the entire C:.

Example:

Selecting C: as your source will scan the entire contents of C: before applying the selector and copying the wanted files which can take a long time if you have a million files on your drive C: and only want to grab your My Documents folder.

Specifying the My Documents folder as a subvolume source will only scan the contents of that defined subvolume thus making your backup faster.

Archived