Passwords and Clients

waldo1

using Retrospect 7

i can see my clients but cannot connect because the passwords are not accepted.

in the help file it states that passwords can be changed in the client 'tools' section, yet, i do not know where to find the client tools section to reintroduce/change passwords. (it is not in the regular tools section of Retrospect)

anyway, how do i get around this password issue?

thanks

In my experience, the only way to get out of this predicament (lost or corrupt client password) is to uninstall Retrospect client, reboot it, make sure the program is gone, then reinstall the client with a fresh password. Only then can you access it from the server. I found this to be true for both Mac and PC clients, unfortunately. The advice you get from Dantz seems bogus.

Quote:

... i do not know where to find the client tools section to reintroduce/change passwords. (it is not in the regular tools section of Retrospect)..

Are you looking in the client application or in the server application ? I don't believe there are client tools in the full program on your server machine.

first, i am using Professional ver. 7.0.9.103.

as i can see all the clients on my network, i find it frustrating not to be able get the passwords to work under Retrospect.

so i did a search in the help file of the server program and found under "password" the following relating to client passwords:

"The Tools tab lists the client name, whether it has a password, its clock offset (the time difference between the client computer clock and the clock of the backup computer), and the version number of the client software.

To change the client name, click Rename. A dialog then asks you to enter and confirm the new name.

To add or change the password, click Set Password. A series of dialogs then ask you to enter and confirm the new password."

i can't find any menue that allows me to change the passwords in the hope that that will solve this problem.

The ability to 'change' the password on the client is not available until you can first log in the client with the existing password. Once a client is logged in at the server side you can change the password at Configure > Clients > Properties (for client in question) > Tools.

Since the password you are using for client login appears incorrect you will need to uninstall the client software, reboot the client machine and then reinstall the client software - at which point you will be promted to enter a new password. Once the client software is reinstalled with the new password you will be able to log it in on the server side.

• 2 weeks later...

i am having the same problem. one of my retrospect clients cannot be logged in. error 507 incorrect password. so i deleted the client as suggested and reinstalled it. but then i turned the client "on" for the first time after fresh install, it did not prompt me for a new password. and when i tried to log that client in again on the master computer, i got the same error 507 message.

i used easyfind to delete all the client files with the name retropect or dantz. did i miss something?

please help!

lisa**

Deleting the client files manally is not the correct way to uninstall a program. Go through Add/Remove Programs _or_ launch the client installer and use the "Remove" option to properly uninstall the existing client.

Once you have uninstalled it you must reboot before installing it again. You will be prompted to create a password during the client installation.

Archived