Restoring part of a backup to a new PC...

Hi,

I have had problems restoring part of a backup set to a new PC. When I tried to select the files/folders that I want to restore, it failed. The only thing that seemed to work was to restore the entire volume to the new computer. I am using a Maxtor One-Touch 160GB external drive and a T42 Thinkpad with Windows XP; however, the backup set was made using a Dell.

Has anyone experienced problems of this type??

Thanks

JC3

Hi,

When I tried to select specific files/folders to restore, the system would generate an error message indicating that the process was not completed successfully. I tried for quite a while to get it to work, but nothing I did seemed to matter. What did finally work, however, was to just restore the entire backup set. I thought it may have had something to do with restoring to a computer other than the one used to make the backup - even though both were using Windows XP - but I'm not sure.

I wish I could provide more granular detail, but I do not have my PC and external hard drive with me (I'm on vacation). Guess I was just wondering if anyone had experienced a similar issue and if they could share any insight. I called Dantz and found out that others have called in inquiring about this, but to date Dantz has not posted an article on the topic (according to the rep.).

Do you have any information on, or experience with this?

JC3

Archived