Device disabled when Retrospect accesses it

pixelmagic

I'm running Windows XP Pro (SP2), using Retrospect 6.5 (current driver installed) with a Sony SDX-700C AIT drive. Recently, I noticed that the content going to the drive is not compressing. After weeks of troubleshooting which include switching PCs, replacing the drive, switching SCSI cards and changing the OS (previously W2K when the problem started), I think I've narrowed it down to Retrospect being the problem. What happens is in Device Manager, the drive shows it is "functioning properly". As soon as Retrospect accesses the drive, the icon gets a red "X" over it and windows disables the device. The drive continues to run, but does not compress the data and stops at 100 GB. I saw the tech post about how SP2 can interfere with Retrospect but the problem described in that post has to do with Windows Firewall which is turned off on this computer. I'm at my wits end right now and I'm definitely not paying for tech support.

That's the thing, I need it to access the device. Up until about a month ago, Retrospect was working great. Now all of a sudden, every time Retrospect accesses the AIT drive, windows disables it. I used the built in Windows backup program and there was no problem. What's killing me is that it was working fine and now it doesn't.

Archived