RP7 does not recognise my Win 2000 Pro CD!

haggis999

I am in day 2 of experimenting with the trial version of RP7(Win) and have made a backup of my Windows boot volume, etc, on an external hard disk. I am now trying to run the Prepare for Disaster Recovery wizard to create a bootable CD-R, but have hit a major problem.

Early on in the wizard process, I am required to put my original Windows 2000 Professional installation CD in one of my optical drives but RP7 refuses to recognise this disk. It keeps asking me to insert a disk when it's already loaded. If I open up Windows Explorer at this stage it also has a similar problem. However, if I shut down RP7 then Windows Explorer has no problem reading the CD. What is going on here?

By the way, I have 2 optical drives: a Plextor CD-RW and a Plextor DVD-RW, both of which operate perfectly outside RP7. The above problem occurs whichever drive I use.

There are two ways you can work around this. You can go to Configure>Devices, click on the Environment tab and then right-click on the drive the Windows 2000 CD is in and select Ignore ID. You will need to change it back to Don't Ignore ID if you use this as a backup device. You can also just copy the i386 folder from your CD to your harddrive and point Retrospect to that folder when you are going through the DR wizard.

Thanks for those workarounds. Your help is much appreciated.

However, can anyone explain why this problem arose in the first place? It looks like a bug and I'm surprised that software at version 7 should fail in such a basic fashion. Simply reading a file from a CD is not exactly rocket science, is it?

Archived