JPG": didn't compare at offset xxx in stream " or ": didn't compare, reached end of file "

haggis999

Unfortunately, my very first backup last night using a newly downloaded trial version of Retrospect Professional 7 for Windows (under Win 2000 Pro) displayed the following error messages. The quoted image files are all fine and I have never had a problem with them before. The sources are SCSI hard disks on my Dell Precision Workstation. The destination is a brand new LaCie 300GB external FireWire 800 disk.

I note that other users have recently complained of similar problems but no real cause was identified. Can someone from Dantz please attempt to offer some assistance here. The last thing I want to hear from my backup program is that I have errors! The whole point of backup is to remove my worries, not add to them. The User Guide doesn't appear to provide any guidance (unless I'm going blind in my old age), which is a problem in itself.

File "I:\My Pictures\IMG_6990.JPG": didn't compare at offset 128 in stream ":Q30lsldxJoudresxAaaqpcawXc:DATA"

File "I:\My Pictures\DSCN2764.JPG": didn't compare at offset 129 in stream ":Q30lsldxJoudresxAaaqpcawXc:DATA"

File "I:\My Pictures\IMG_0963 V2.jpg": didn't compare at offset 92 in stream ":{4c8cc155-6c1e-11d1-8e41-00c04fb9386d}:DATA"

File "I:\My Pictures\IMG_4427.JPG": didn't compare, reached end of file

26/11/2005 02:02:02: 4 execution errors

File "K:\DIGITAL IMAGE MASTERS\DSCN2764.JPG": didn't compare at offset 129 in stream ":Q30lsldxJoudresxAaaqpcawXc:DATA"

File "K:\DIGITAL IMAGE MASTERS\IMG_4427.JPG": didn't compare, reached end of file

File "K:\DIGITAL IMAGE MASTERS\IMG_6990.JPG": didn't compare at offset 128 in stream ":Q30lsldxJoudresxAaaqpcawXc:DATA"

26/11/2005 02:32:34: 3 execution errors

Hi

Try this:

Move (not copy) the files that caused errors to another physical disk. Then run scandisk and defrag on the source disk. After that move the files back. That should clear it up.

There are cases where Retrospect will discover corruption on the disk that you would not otherwise be aware of. Moving/scanning/defragmenting forces the files to be completely rewritten to the disk including all the filesystem info about the files.

Thanks

Nate

Thanks for the advice Nate. I'll certainly give that method a try.

I eventually found a very brief reference to this sort of error in the RP7 User Guide (the index wasn't much use in tracking it down), but it just seems to blame my SCSI bus as the "usual" cause. Since I have been using the SCSI drives on my Dell Precision Workstation without any obvious problem for several years, it seems unlikely that my SCSI bus is configured incorrectly or has a hardware failure of some kind. Dantz offers no guidance on other possible causes of this error or any advice on how to resolve the problem. It seems strange that such little help is provided on how to handle important error messages.

Hi

The items in the manual that you mentioned are for cases where SCSI communication problems are causing trouble backing up to tape. Your errors are likely just some minor disk corruption. Nothing too serious. In fact, I suspect the files would restore properly as is.

Thanks

Nate

For what it is worth, I have seen the same error (which as far as I can tell does not affect the ability to use the file as it exists, or to restore the file from backup and then use the file). I successfully eliminated the errors from the log by doing the following:

- Create WinZip archive

- add each file reporting this type of error to ZIP file (make sure that you enable the saving of full path information)

- delete the original files from disk(s)

- extract the files from the ZIP archive (selecting the appropriate root drive as destination)

When you use winzip to extract files where the full path was stored, those files extract RELATIVE to whatever folder location you choose. To get the files to restore into their original folders, it is important to select the root of the destination drive when extracting. Otherwise you will find yourself moving them and deleting a long line of folders you don't want.

I use WinZip 10, but I think any version (or equivolent program) that supports path information could be made to work as well.

I did this with 6 files I had that were reporting similar errors. The following night's backup showed no more errors.

While not as thorough, this is much quicker than scandisk and defrag. You may still choose to scandisk before extracting the files. I did, but no problems were reported (and I frankly didn't expect any).

Regards,

Brian

Quote:

........ While not as thorough, this is much quicker than scandisk and defrag. You may still choose to scandisk before extracting the files. I did, but no problems were reported (and I frankly didn't expect any).

I went through the scandisk (actually, it seems to be called chkdisk in Win 2k) and defrag process before reading your post. Like you, no errors were found but the problem does now appear to have gone away. It was certainly a time consuming business that took several hours, but I guess the defragging may have some minor benefits.

Quote:

The items in the manual that you mentioned are for cases where SCSI communication problems are causing trouble backing up to tape. Your errors are likely just some minor disk corruption. Nothing too serious. In fact, I suspect the files would restore properly as is.

Nate

The only possible conclusion an average user like myself could reach when reading the error messages I quoted is that the backup did not work for those specific files. There is not much room for ambiguity in a phrase such as 'Execution Error'. I see nothing "minor" in that. The code already has a means of highlighting minor issues: it calls them Warnings rather than Errors. This was an error. In what way is that not "serious"?

Backup is a binary process. Either it works or it doesn't. There is no room for shades of grey.

On that basis, I think that it is unacceptable for Dantz to completely ignore such errors and their possible solutions in the User Guide. The whole point of a backup program is to provide peace of mind. Every single error message generated by RP7 should be properly covered by the manual - WITHOUT ANY EXCEPTION!

Archived