hard drive as BU

I've tried to find an answer in the Knowledge base, and in the forum archives with no luck. I'm trying to use a pair of Firewire hard drives as back up devices, but I'm getting a 102 error. So I attempted to see if they were compatible with Retrospect, and having no luck there.

I am on a Mac G3 233mhz using System 9.0. I have a Tango Firewire card inserted to run LaCie 30 GB firewire drives. Can what I want to do, even be done with Retrospect? Or am I forced to use some sort of removable media?

All Hard Drives are supported universally by Retrospect, providing they are supported by the Operating System you are using.

That being said, it sounds like you may be coming up against some file size limits. A file backup set is a single file that contains all the files you have backed up, and that can be stored on any random access device.

A file backup set stored on a Macintosh volume is limited in size according to the format of that volume:

ß Mac OS Extended (OS 9 or later): 1 TB

ß Mac OS Standard: 2 Gig

Unlike other types of backup sets, a file backup set does not have a separate catalog file upon creation. Its catalog is stored internally in the file itself, in its resource fork. (Its data fork contains the backed-up files.) Because a file's resource fork is limited to 16 MB, the file will eventually grow too large for the file system. When this happens, Retrospect 5.0 or later will separate the catalog file from the data file to allow the file backup set to expand. The split catalog file will be named "Backup Set Name.cat." You can manually separate the catalog from the data at: Configure > Backup Sets > Properties > Options. The catalog file needs to be kept in the same folder as the data portion of the backup set. Retrospect 4.3 is not able to separate the catalog from the File Backup set. You should upgrade to 5.0 for best performance if you are backing up to hard drives.

If your Firewire drives are formatted as HFS Standard, they should be reformatted as HFS Extended.

Archived