Data lost when backup to external usb harddisk

armix

hi,

i downloaded an evaluation copy of retrospect professional to test the backup of my pc to an externel usb 2.0 harddisk.

when i try to backup my data to the usb-disk retrospect told me the following (german message, sent from retrospect via mail):

-----

Skript: ARMIX1005_Backup_C-D

Datum: 22.10.2005

Probleme beim Positionieren: "ARMIX1005_BUSet_USB" (7015), Fehler -102 (Probleme bei der Kommunikation)

-----

retrospect cannot communicate with the usb-disk; windows tells me that it lost data while trying to write to the disk.

i got this error everytime i tried to make a backup to "disk". when i make a backup to "file" (on the same usb harddisk) it works whithout any errors.

does anybody know the reason of this error?

thanks,

armin

hi,

the event viewer shows the same errors, that i got via email:

-----

Ereignistyp: Fehler

Ereignisquelle: Retrospect

Ereigniskategorie: Keine

Ereigniskennung: 1

Datum: 22.10.2005

Zeit: 12:13:06

Benutzer: NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM

Computer: ARMIX1005

Beschreibung:

Probleme beim Positionieren: "ARMIX1005_BUSet_USB" (7721), Fehler -102 (Probleme bei der Kommunikation)

-----

other programs like windows explorer (file copy) and microsoft windows xp backup have no problems using this disk. only retrospect when i use it for a backup to a disk - backup to file works fine.

thanks,

armin

Hi

I can assure you that this will only occur when there is a communication problem with the drive or a hardware failure.

Please turn off system restore for the external drive.

Also, right click on the drive in device manager and go to properties. Under policies select "optimize for quick removal".

Do the problems still occur?

Thanks,

Nate

Archived