Backups take a long time, automatic execution does not work, computers don't shut down

First of all I am an experienced Retrospec user and have been for since it first came out. I just upgraded a small office to three G5s on a 100 base ethernet network [checked the wiring it is fine]. With the first version of v6, I had some problems but at least they got backed up. Now with this new version 212 and client v.6.0.110 the computers take upward of 15 hours to backup, most of the time the clients never get backed up and worst of all, automatic execution does not work. You must open Retrospect in order for it run. As soon as you open Retrospect, it begins to run the backup. I have of course renstalled, uninstalled and cursed until I am ready to give up.

The backup computer - one of the G5s with 1 gig of ram - has NOTHING running on it. The basic installed OS X with the latest updates is all that is on the computer other than Retrospect.

I am really stumped on this one unless it is a bug. From reading the posts it seems everyone is having some part of the problems I am experienceing.

Could really use some feedback on this one.

Quote:

From reading the posts it seems everyone is having some part of the problems I am experienceing.

First you should split off the two issues you report; slow network backups from the auto-launch failures.

> just upgraded a small office to three G5s on a 100 base ethernet network [checked the wiring it is fine]<

Hewlett Packard Scalar network analyzers cost about $900 used; if you tested with one of these and everything checked out fine then you can skip the following suggestion.

Since you didn't "check the wiring" with industry standard analysis hardware (or else you'd have skipped this part), I'd suggest connecting one of the clients to the backup machine with a single known-good Cat5e patch cable. Give each machine an IP address on the same subnet, forget and re-add the client machine and try a test backup. If the connection screams, you've proven that your problem is with the network. Was the wiring professionally installed?

Since you have multiple clients with slow response, you should consider what they all have in common. If client access continues to be slow even with a direct network connection, consider testing without the G5 that's currently running Retrospect. Install the application on one of the other G5's, and try a Client backup of the third machine. That will allow you to narrow down where the bottleneck is occuring.

> You must open Retrospect in order for it (to) run

For most people, auto-launching of the program works as expected. There do seem to be some glitches for some people sometimes, which can usually be solved by deleting the file /Library/Preferences/retrorunfile and restarting the program.

You should confirm, however, that the unix process 'retrorun' is alive when the backup is scheduled to execute. If it's not, make sure your preferences are set to enable automatic launching of the program.

There are lots of posts in the "Retrospect 6.x Desktop, Workgroup and Server" board next door, but most of them are for issues that range from user error to hardware failures with everything in between. Most of them are not experiencing what you have reported.

Dave

Archived