error -1028 (Retrospect Workgroup for Mac 6.0.204, Linux Client)

rlshew

I can't add a RedHat Ent. Linux 3 client to my list of clients on my Mac OS X 10.3.9 server running Retrospect Workgroup for Mac 6.0.204. I get error -1028 when trying both Test and Add by Address, though the client can be found when pinging in Terminal.

The facts:

The linux client has Retrospect Client 6.5.108. The daemon is running.

The client is on the same subnet as all my other Mac and Windows clients which can be seen.

Port 497 for incoming TCP and UDP requests has been allowed in my linux iptables and is of course allowed on the Mac server.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I really need to back up this client soon.

Hi Lab,

Try portscanning the client with Nmap. There is a GUI version for Mac on versiontracker. The portscanner that comes with OS X does not do UDP. You want port 497 for both TCP and UDP.

It may be iptables or ipchains depending on your setup. Turn off the firewall for testing, then if it works you will know what to read up on at http://www.tldp.org. wink.gif

Otherwise, you may want to provide some more info on your network. Are these computers on the same subnet?

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to reply -- access issues...other users, priorities....

The server and clients are on the same subnet.

There was no change when I upgraded to Retrospect 6.1.126. Client is up to date.

I can't drop the firewall on this network (too dangerous), the rack is too big to move near the server, and the two are physically separated by over 100 feet and are in different rooms so unless I get a lot of x-over cable, I can't try connecting directly. However, I did try to see what's open as seen from the server side and from the client side.

If I run nmapFE from the mac backup server with the command nmap -sT -P0 -v <ipaddr> (TCP connect(), Don't ping, verbose), it looks like port 497 is not visible though the firewall should specifically open 497. Ports designated for allowed protocols are seen.

netstat -ap from the linux client shows that it seems to be listening on port 497. (There are two ethernet cards, one a pvt. net. to equipment.) Here are the retrospect specific lines:

tcp 0 0 nnn.nnn.nnn.1:497 *:* LISTEN 2577/retroclient

tcp 0 0 <IPName>:497 *:* LISTEN 2577/retroclient

tcp 0 0 localhost.localdomain:497 *:* LISTEN 2577/retroclient

udp 0 0 *:497 *:* 2577/retroclient

udp 0 0 *:497 *:* 2577/retroclient

unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 2731 2577/retroclient

These seem right. Suggestions?

Quote:

If I run nmapFE from the mac backup server with the command nmap -sT -P0 -v <ipaddr> (TCP connect(), Don't ping, verbose), it looks like port 497 is not visible though the firewall should specifically open 497. Ports designated for allowed protocols are seen.

hi lab,

you've got to figure out why you can't see port 497 in TCP. it sounds like a problem with the firewall.

• 2 months later...

Archived