Automate HD to HD?

sbowling

How do I automate a harddrive to hard drive backup? I can do this manually, but it does not seem possible to do this with a script. Also, is it possible to make automatic backups of files or folders that are not compressed in any way and are automatically readable (ie, not saved in a different format)?

Thanks.

Automate/ Scripts

Create a script (NOT an easy script) that backs up to a FILE backupset.

You cannot do a FILE Backupset that isn't written in Retrospect encrypted format.

BUT You can do a duplicate that will do essentially the same thing.

Retrospect offers another option for copying data to a hard disk; the duplicate feature.

The first duplicate operation will copy all files from the source volume, keeping them in Windows format. Subsequent duplicate operations will be incremental, copying and replacing files that have been modified or are new. Identical files are not copied again.

The Duplicate function can be accessed from the Immediate tab or a Duplicate script can be set up for automated operation.

What is the difference between Backup and Duplicate?

o Backup copies files in a proprietary format only accessible using Retrospect. Duplicate copies files in standard file format so they can be opened or used right on the backup disk without having to go through Retrospect.

o Backups offer optional compression, not available with Duplicates.

o Backups offer optional encryption, not available with Duplicates.

o Backups can save old data incrementally so files deleted from the source are still available in the backup. Duplicate basically keeps a mirror image of the source so each duplicate operation overwrites previous data and only retains the current files.

o Backups can span multiple pieces of media. Duplicates are always a one-to-one operation; one volume is duplicated to one volume. If you have multiple volumes to duplicate you will have to create an empty folder on the destination for each disk you wish to copy. You can then define those empty folders as "Subvolumes" from within Retrospect. This will allow you to copy Source volume #1 to Subvolume #1 and Source volume #2 into Subvolume #2. The Retrospect User's Guide contains detailed instructions on how to configure a folder as a Subvolume.

Retrospect Express for Windows does not copy the registry during the "Duplicate" operations, only during Backup.

Thank you for this very useful information. There are a couple of other questions that come up.

Assume that I want to create an exact duplicate of my C drive on my D drive. Using the Duplicate function, how can the registry be copied?

If the C drive crashes, how do I restore the duplicate image from the D drive back to the C drive?

If you have Express, you cannot duplicate the registry.

If you have Desktop, you can duplicate the registry. When you setup your duplicate, go to options. Make sure that under options it includes System Files/Registry. It will duplicate the registry for you then.

To restore from a duplicate, you just duplicate back. So you would duplicate D drive to C drive and then reboot. That is it!

It might be considered a bit of an overkill to use Retrospect just to do a disk duplication, especially if it involves an upgrade to the Desktop edition.

Why not use XCOPY? or XXCOPY (free for personal use and will cope with file deletions. Don't be alarmed by the 300 page manual, just check out the /CLONE option).

Ian

• 3 months later...

Archived