Fedora and Debian Clients

Hi,

I'm running Fedora Core 1,2,3 and 4 and Debian (3?) on a few Linux servers and would like to know how people have faired backuing these up with Retrospect. Is there anything special that needs to get these working? We want to store these on a disk array and maybe DLT/External HD for off-site backup.

We are running Retrospect 7.0.6.108 MultiSever on Windows 2000 Server (currently backing up to DVD or HD), and would like to know if its possible to back these up. If so, help would be appreciated as I'm not very experienced with Linux.

Cheers,

Tim

I had really good experiences getting Retroclient to work in Debian using the debian packages that I found in this thread: http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=linux&Number=30903

The one thing that it doesn't like is if you attempt to install the package via Synaptic. For some reason Synaptic doesn't recognize that the package requires some user intervention to set the client password, and so Retrospect is installed in a half-completed manner. You're best bet is to simply install from a terminal using the old school method. If you do that, then it works perfectly.

Installing Retroclient on Fedora was even easier since I was able to use the non-messed with Retroclient package and just install via RPM at the command line. It doesn't get much easier than that. (It worked this easy for me when installing to a 64-bit version of Suse Enterprise Linux Server 8 as well, straight from the RPM).

I probably should add that all of our linux machines (whether Suse, Fedora, or Debian are large RAID arrays) and they work much easier than I would have guessed.

Works well for me, but my linux clients are very simply structured. You might have some issues with symlinks across filesystems. Get the latest update to Retrospect7, as I belive it handles unix clients a little better than the base release.

Archived