Can't see DVD drive

jelenko

I've got Win XP SP2 installed on a RAID array [using the built in RAID function on a Gigabyte K8NSC-939].

The DVD drive is the master on the second IDE channel - no slave on this channel.

Retrospect 7.0.301 can't see the DVD drive. I've tried using ASPI, but no difference.

The DVD drive shows correctly in Device Manager and functions with no problems - i.e., Windows Explorer recognizes it; CD's are recognized and can install programs from the CD. There are no problems shown in Device Manager for any devices.

I got to this install by first installing a fresh copy of Win XP SP2, installing Retrospect, then restoring the disk from a previous backup set [that was created from exactly the same hardware except there wasn't any RAID drive].

I've tried uninstalling [along with the settings in Documents/Settings] and reinstalling. No change.

Is there any reason Retrospect wouldn't see the DVD drive even though the OS is installed on a RAID drive?

Thanks

The plot thickens.

After creating a DR CD from the install above, setup still claims it cannot load the raid drivers [after they were specified via F6].

Does Retrospect really not support system installs on RAID arrays or it just the RAID drivers for this motherboard?

We've still got the problem with not recognizing the DVD drive.

Thanks

Nate - No, the DVD does not show in configure -> devices -> environment. It says "No tape or CD/DVD devices found." The drive is a Toshiba SD-R5372. Retrospect recognizes the drive when the OS is installed just on a single, non RAID drive.

I'm using Retro 7.0.301.

Thanks

PS. Between the drive not being recognized and the RAID drivers not being loaded by the DR CD, the drive not being recognized is the more critical one to me.

Quote:

Nate - No, the DVD does not show in configure -> devices -> environment. It says "No tape or CD/DVD devices found."

This message would only be displayed on the Status tab - not the Environment tab. Go to Configure > Devices and choose Environment. Do you see the drive in Environment? Does anything show up as "Ignored"?

Quote:

Hi

This motherboard uses the Nvidia Nforce3 chipset. Make sure you download and install new chipset drivers from Nvidia. I suspect that will clear it up.

Thanks

nate

Thanks - but doesn't make any difference.

FYI. I've tried both nVidia's latest drivers [5.10.244] and from Gigabyte's support site.

Can you say how Retro does detect CD/DVD drives? I'm thinking Retro may be looking for a registry key that is either empty or non existing due to the RAID drivers being installed.

This problem can be caused by the fact that NVIDIA includes specially optimized IDE drivers in its chipset drivers. Try to uninstall these special IDE drivers and replace them with the standard drivers from Microsoft. This resolved all kinds of problems with IDE drives in combination with NForce chipsets for me in the past.

Quote:

This problem can be caused by the fact that NVIDIA includes specially optimized IDE drivers in its chipset drivers. Try to uninstall these special IDE drivers and replace them with the standard drivers from Microsoft. This resolved all kinds of problems with IDE drives in combination with NForce chipsets for me in the past.

Thanks. I was thinking the same. But, get BSOD at boot with the standard dual IDE driver. Also, to install Windows on the RAID array, you have to specify ATA and RAID drivers during Windows setup => I'm locked into using nVidia's drivers.

Hi

Retrospect just uses NT passthrough or ASPI to look at all the devices on the IDE/SCSI/FW/USB controllers. If the device is not visible in configure->devices->environment there is a problem with the drivers for the hard disk controller. It isn't a problem with registry entries.

In the past there have been similar problems with SATA hard drives not being visible to Retrospect. Driver updates from the manufacturer fixed that.

One work around would be to add a cheap PCI hard disk controller for the DVD drive. That should resolve the issue.

Thanks

Nate

Thanks, but no luck.

Installed a Promise Ultra133 TX2 controller and put the DVD drive on it.

Retro Configure -> Devices -> Status and Enviroment both still show "No tape or CD/DVD devices found".

Is it correct that this situation appears to be an isolated instance? If so, I'm OK if you don't put in any more effort on this.

My interest is simply to get more performance out of my system - which I constantly tweak [of course, the constant tweaking is what drives high priority for me to have a system backup that is physically off the pc]

I'm thinking to share the problem with the motherboard manufacturer. For now, I've added a USB drive for external backup. It's not as reliable as DVD, but I do have a secondary backup on a separate internal hard disk.

That said, I'd still welcome any ideas.

Quote:

Hi

Retrospect just uses NT passthrough or ASPI to look at all the devices on the IDE/SCSI/FW/USB controllers.

Nate - Sorry. Turns out ASPI was not installed. [i had assumed that since the option was presented in the Preference screen, it was already installed].

After running aspiinst, Retro now sees the DVD drive!

Thanks.

Archived