Since RS5 cannot successfully back up the following files as indicated in a recent Operations Log report, am I safe in deleting these files if I can locate them in OS 10.1.4?

Any suggestions?

- 5/9/2002 6:07:48 AM: Copying Aqua…

5/9/2002 6:09:29 AM: Comparing Aqua…

File “Operations Log”: different data size (set: 13,071, vol: 13,125), path: “Aqua/Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Operations Log”.

File “system.log”: different modification date/time (set: 5/9/2002 6:02:33 AM, vol: 5/9/2002 6:08:20 AM), path: “Aqua/private/var/log/system.log”.

Thank you,

Mike

In reply to:

Since RS5 cannot successfully back up the following files as indicated in a recent Operations Log report...

Ah, but Retrospect _did_ successfully back them up!

If you read the log entries you'll see that the error was in the compare pass, when Retrospect goes back to be sure that what's on the tape/disk/zip is the same as what's on the hard drive.

But in OS X, things such as logs and cache files are constantly being written. So when Retrospect is ready to check, the log is different then it was when it was first copied.

In reply to:

...am I safe in deleting these files if I can locate them in OS 10.1.4?

It's your machine. If you don't want complete system logs you can delete them; the system will make a new one.

Dave

Archived