Problems in seeing Maxtor One Touch device - help please!!!!

darwinntguy

Hi - newbie to this forum here - so my apologies if topic has been covered elsewhere. Any information gratefully accepted.

I purchased a Dell system earlier this year and decided to impliment a backup process. Purchased a Maxtor One touch back up that came bundled with Restrospect 6. Installed it and all worked well. Backups etc happended. Entire system crashed last week - and after some time I reluctantly agreed to a reinstallation of the windows operating systeem. It appears that the tech did this from a generic version of XP rather than from the XP disks supplied and branded by Dell. Now wanting to restore heaps of data, but Retrospect cannot find the Maxtor device.

I have installed Restrospect, reinstalled, deletted and re-re-reinstalled all to no effect. I did catch one post that seemed to suggest that will the application of XP patches, and Retrospect upgrade may be necessary.

frown.gifAny help, guidance or assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John

This is not an answer, but another user with the same problem. I used the Retrospect Disaster Recovery Disk created after the Backup to restart XP and reinstall the OS. However, I can not see the USB HDD in Windows nor will the program access it. Even reinstalling XP and Retrospect does not help.

I noticed there is no answer to your question. Did you have any success with this problem?

Tks.

UZI

John,

Did you install the Maxtor OneTouch utilities/driver? You need these to properly access the drive from within Windows XP, especially if you used a password to protect the drive.

You can download these from the Maxtor website.

Marc

Archived