Multiple cards

Windows Server 2003

Multi Server 6.5

Two network cards

I have a machine with two network cards, (different IP addresses) as my backup server, accessing some clients through each of the cards. This has worked fine until I installed SP1 just recently, and Windows Firewall got activated. Now, I cannot see clients through one of the cards (the other card still works great, and the firewall is correctly configured to let Retrospect through).

Dropping Windows Firewall allows access again through both cards. However, I am interested in keeping the ffirewall active.

Anyone know what to do to be able to see clients through both cards again? (I've tried lots of different experiments with reconfiguring the firewall, but nothing seems to work.)

Thanks for any insight.

Dwane

aldrich@u.washington.edu

I've found that the Windows native firewall should be opened for Retrospect in _two_ places (four rules total):

A) Exceptions - three rules:

1. TCP port 497;

2. UDP port 497;

3. Retrospect executable;

B) Click on "Advanced" tab, select an appropriate LAN configuration (in your case, both one-by-one). Click on "Settings" button, define the rule for Retrospect executable here, too, for _each_ configuration.

Another thing: you might need to allow the Retrospect broadcasting through the firewall as well.

Please note: I'm not running Retrospect under the XP machine right now, so everybody please point to errors in these configuration steps.

Interesting thing I've noticed: while setting up Windows FW, I changed the scope in each rule to respond to a particular IP address only. However, the outside scan shows that the machines happily answering on port 497 not just to allowed address', but to everybody on the 'net as well.

Windows Firewall is not a firewall...

Results of my tests so far, even with special exceptions on Port 497 (TCP and UDP) and the Retrospect .exe in Windows Firewall:

1) With Windows Firewall dropped, the Retrospect Server can see the remote client.

2) With Windows Firewall on, one network card works perfectly.

3) With Windows Firewall on, all Port 497 traffic is being dropped (Windows Firewall log enabled) from the second network card. Even with the exceptions explicitly enumerated for that card. Even with Windows Firewall supposedly turned off for that card (in Advanced).

Any further ideas?

Thanks for the ideas so far.

Dwane

aldrich@u.washington.edu

Archived